Need help choosing oil boiler around 46k btu

Old 09-11-09, 08:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help choosing oil boiler around 46k btu

Hello all ... I'm under the gun now and need to make a purchase ...

My heat loss calculation came back at 47,600 (where as the old boiler is 122,600). I need to choose an appropriate replacement ASAP.

The heat loss contractor suggested the Ultimate PFO-3 which can fire between 56-105 MBH heating capacity. I've never heard of this brand, and the directions seem to imply that I will need a system bypass loop on this small model for cold-start.

I'm ripping through documentation right now .... the boilers that seems most popular in my area are peerless, crown, utica, burnham, weil-mclain.

I'm real edgy about such a drastic down-sizing, and would prefer some boiler model that I can increase output if necessary.

Any other suggestion on specific models (top flue would be most convenient for me)? Also, anyone know anything about the quality of Ultimate?

As an aside, everyone around me is insisting that I need at least 86k btu just to handle my baseboard heating, making this more difficult as I'm not a heating expert.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-09, 09:15 AM
D
Not that I am an expert, but from what I've learned form my threads, BTU's are BTU's. I don't see why you need more BTU's just because you have baseboard heating.

Your heat loss is approx 48,000 BTU's. So the DOE output on the boiler needs to be at least 48,000 BTU's. Your baseboard needs to have the capability to radiate 48,000 BTU's. If it can radiat more than that, that's ok, you don't need it to. That means you can run lower water temps which saves you more money.

Don't be afraid of such a small boiler. Currently in my house I have a boiler that will output at 180 degree water temp 135,000 BTU's. My radiators can only put out 98,000 BTU's. Right there I'm already wasting money. I figure my house is losing 70,000 BTU's. That will decrease more when I improve my insulation on my seoncd floor.

Old 09-11-09, 09:38 AM
Who
Most heatlosses seem to be about 50% overstated, meaning you might in reality need only about 2/3rds of that 48K. Once the heat load gets low enough, the domestic requirements (if you use your boiler to supply hot water for household use) may end up being the floor contraint as to how low you should go in sizing.

My calculated heat loss was higher than yours.. I put in a 30-110 boiler, as the smaller size wasn't on the market yet and capped the output to only 40 MBH for heating. That was with fin-tube baseboards.

Everyone around you is wrong BTW...

Old 09-11-09, 06:35 PM
X
Burnham MPO 84.

It's that simple. Great boiler. Plenty of output for your house (and your neighbor's, too).

[The Ultimate is made by ECR, which also owns Dunkirk, Utica and maybe a few others.]

Old 09-12-09, 08:28 AM
J
Originally Posted by xiphias View Post
Burnham MPO 84.
Xiphias, thanks ... I know you've suggested this before, I haven't ignored you advice

It may have to be something like the MPO, because I can't seem to find anything small enough to get close to 48k heat loss (the mpo is still 26k over).

My heat-loss contractor suggested the ECR branded "Ultimate PFO-3", which seems well sized and can be up-fired if needed. Problem is, after calling about 7 places, most supply houses never heard of the ultimate.

The rear-flue venting is inconvenient for me, but do-able.

Any other suggestions appreciated!