Proper aquastat settings using Indirect HWH

Old 09-15-09, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper aquastat settings using Indirect HWH

Hello All, After a lifetime of having a separate oil-fired HWH, I just had a SuperStor 45 Indirect HWH installed. I have noticed that my hot water at the faucet does not get very hot, even after letting the water run awhile. I'm wondering if this is normal for an Indirect HWH or is it something to do with my aquastat settings. I have the HWH aquastat set at 125 deg. I have my boiler's aquastat set at 150/110. I have my boiler's aquastat HL set at 150 as a summertime setting only. When I turn on my heat, I will raise the HL to 180. Is the lack of very hot water due to the fact that my boiler is set to 150? Must I set the boiler's aquastat to 180 in the summer to get hotter water? Is the HWH aquastat set too low at 125. Or, is it a combination of both? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-09, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
IWH's rated at either 180 or 200f degree boiler water. The lower boiler temp will increase the recovery time. As long as the boiler water is at least 20f above the setting of the IWH temp it will recover even though much slower. A setting of the tank of 125f is a bit low. I usually suggest 140f but not less than 130f.

Old 09-16-09, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
But if you jack the indirect up above 120-125F, you really need an anti-scald tempering valve. Taco 5000, Sparco-Honeywell, etc. Your local codes might even require it.

easy to link to Taco's flavor:

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/Fil...00-6.0_REV.pdf