Baseboard or radiator

Old 09-23-09, 12:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboard or radiator

Hi, I just bought a house and it has your classic baseboards all throughout. I have an oil boiler (Burnham V7) that also does my domestic (not very well). I'm debating switching from oil and installing an onex boiler like this Embassy Ambassador Onex Condensing Boiler. Embassy Onex Combi Boilers. Hot Water heating and domestic on demand hot water. and replacing the baseboards with some myson decor radiators like these Myson Radiators. Decor Myson Radiator. Hydronic Radiators European Style Hydronic Heating . If anyone has any experience with either of these products or advice regarding this matter then I would appreciate it. The main reason I'm thinking of getting the onex is because it supposedly does a great job on the domestic side as well as being high efficiency and the boiler I have right now only gives me about 2 seconds of hot water in the shower.

Old 09-23-09, 04:36 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Condensing Boiler

There's several options:

First, do your homework. Don't get stuck on one brand because it 'supposedly' does a good job. There's LOTS of condensing gas boilers out there that will do as good or better. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned. The condenser-heads will be here shortly to recommend boilers to you.

Another option for domestic hot water is to install an "Indirect Water Heater". (search posts here, or Google for more info)

The reason your current boiler doesn't give you the hot water you want is because it apparently has the 'tankless coil' installed. Our friend furd calls these things "the absolute WORST way to make hot water, better only to a kettle on a woodstove"... ancient, inefficient, fuel-wasting, not worth a damn.

As for the baseboards... why do you wish to change them out? I myself would first change the boiler if that's your decision, and run with the baseboards for at least a season. I'm not sure I would go with the Myson brand either... but let's hear others opinions on this. A thorough brushing and vacuuming of the fins in the baseboards will restore a lot of their heating power. You'd be amazed at how much even a thin layer of dust can cut down their output.

Old 09-23-09, 05:23 PM
Received 12 Votes on 9 Posts
I agree with NJ trooper (again). Add an indirect to your existing boiler unless you want to go to gas. The radiation you are looking at takes quite a bit of wall space. You can increase the efficiency of what you have with ODR control or heat manager.
If you decide to change boiler and or radiation do your homework. Have a room by room heat loss done.

Old 09-23-09, 06:50 PM
X
FWIW, neither the Onex boiler nor the Myson Decorator series would be among my choices for a refit such as you describe.

Adding an indirect and a priority control to your current system would solve the hot water problem.

If you're going to a gas boiler, IMHO there are better ones out there than the Onex. Check out the Triangle Tube Prestige Solo series, or if you are set on a combi unit, their Excellence series.

Onex seems to have a very tight heat exchanger that requires primary/secondary piping and thus adds another circulator to the system. For most installations, you can pipe a Prestige direct. The Onex domestic coil is not a particularly inspired design, either.

Old 09-29-09, 02:20 PM
B
Thanks for all the feedback. After thinking about it I am planning on going with the indirect tank. The one I am looking at is this one Heat Flo Indirect Storage Tanks. Heat-Flo Hot Water Tanks. Single Heat Exchanger. Double Heat Exchanger - Heating and Solar Systems probably in 50 gallon. As far as the radiators I'm going to stick with the baseboards for now.

Old 09-29-09, 04:12 PM
X
That's a good one.

[filler to 25+ characters]

Old 10-14-09, 01:37 PM
B
So I went with the Heat-Flo and got it installed last weekend and it works great. My girlfriend had her first half hour shower in a few months and couldn't be happier. I ended up just cutting it into the basement loop and using a couple of Caleffi Z55 zone valves (Caleffi Zone Valves. Caleffi Hydronic Zone Valve. Hydronic Heating Two Way Zone Valves. Hydronic heating systems) and ran the whole deal with a Taco ZVC 403 (Taco Zone Valve Controls. Taco Zone Controller. Taco Hydronic Heat. PEX Radiant Heat Applications). Thanks for all of the good advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: