aquastat relay problems

Old 10-10-09, 09:41 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
aquastat relay problems

You can call me DC and I'm an older handyman that has a problem with my Slant Fin models-150-DP. The aquastat relay is not turning on the pump. I have to hold it out the electro. magnet manually to run the pump. Its a Honeywell L8148e. I just hooked it up. The gas line is not hooked up yet,but I was trying the relay to make sure everything was working 1st. With the thermostat set high and on the heat position. I hooked up my electric devices and the pump would only come on by manually holding the mag. in the outward position. Its like the electro magnet isn't working. Does the water have to be heated for this to work? Or is there a way to find out if the relay is junk? And also what do the # after the type L8148Exxxx mean? I have no extra #'s after the L8148E.

Can you help. If so Thanks
DC

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-09, 10:12 AM
D
The L8148E is a "Single Acting Aquastat" which is only going to heat the water in the boiler on demand. If i understand what your saying, It seems that you have the power to the control, and the proper power to the circulator if you are able to manually turn it on.

Im not questioning your install skills, but I would re-check your t-stat wire connections to make sure you have a call for heat. You could try to Jump the T-T terminals on the aquastat to rule out thermostat problems.

Theoretically it should start the circulator, with the way you have it hooked up. Its a basic switch with only a High Limit control on it to kick the burner off. As I said, check the call for heat, if that works, you may have a bad aquastat. Its hard to say without seeing it.

Old 10-23-09, 07:32 AM
D
Thanks

Hi, Thanks for the info. Boilers are a great way o heat your house when they work. I jumped the t & t and found it did work. So with that I found a wire not hooked up. I fix it and it ran good for 24hrs. Than woke up to a cold house and found the pump working but no heat to the boiler. I played with the relay and found that once in awhile when I triggered it, the boiler would fire. Twice it would only heat the water to 90f. Once after it did heat to 170f. My other stat is set for 190f on the dial. With this info I think I'm just going to replace the Relay box.
I do have one other question.: Can I leave the dampter connection jumped. It is jumped from the factory and my dampener is in the open position. If so what happens to the wires that hooked to my old Aqu. Relay?