Boiler Vibrating/Humming Noise

Old 10-14-09, 02:42 PM
Boiler Vibrating/Humming Noise

I recently bought my first house a few months ago and am having some problems with the heat. There is this deep humming/vibrating kind of noise. The weird thing is that it only happens around 4 or 5 in the morning. It isn't a continuous noise, it kind of fades in and out, but can get pretty loud. Needless to say, it is disrupting our sleep quite a bit.

We have hot water heat. It is a Munchkin boiler and we have baseboard heating, only one floor, with the boiler in the basement.

Does anyone know what might be the cause of the noise and/or a solution?

Oh yea, and the noise seems to come from our bedroom which is right above the boiler.

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-09, 04:40 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Maybe you really only notice it in the middle of the night, when the house is _really_ quiet... then of course, once you're tuned into it, it's like the neighbors dog barking, irritating.

It's possible that what you are hearing IS a vibration, of the pipes transmitting the motor noise of the circulator pump to the framing.

Try wiggling the pipes around and see if you can make it come and go when the system is running. If you can localize the noise then maybe we can suggest some 'fixes'.

Look for pipes that are 'clamped' tightly to the framing, or maybe pipes that are rubbing against each other, stuff like that.

Old 10-14-09, 04:47 PM
What year Munchkin?

Might be the blower. Might be the circulator.

Does the boiler have the Vision 1 control package with an outdoor sensor?

Old 10-14-09, 06:18 PM
Ok, I just turned up the thermostat to kick on the heat to check it out and went downstairs. I now realize that the noise is coming directly from the boiler. It is a 2007 Munchkin. When the heat kicked on, the digital temperature gauge on the boiler would start to go up when the flame went on, then the noise would occur and the flame would go off for a few seconds then go on again with the noise again. This happened for a few minutes and now the noise has stopped and the flame stayed on and everything is working.

I guess it has something to do with when it is firing up.

Old 10-14-09, 06:55 PM
Ok, I was just doing some research and came across this thread http://forum.doityourself.com/gas-oi...e-furnace.html . It sounds like that might be my problem.

However, I'm not sure how to go about doing that on my boiler. I have a 2007 Munchkin and I cant really see the burners. Here is a picture http://academ.hvcc.edu/~l-jurgensen/DSCN0656.jpg. I dont know where the screws for the shutters would be.

Here is the manual as well http://www.htproducts.com/literature/lp-147.pdf

I appreciate all the help.

Old 10-14-09, 07:28 PM
You do not want to start messing with this boiler. It's a high-tech combustion appliance that relies on a variety of parts to function properly in order to operate.

Find a Munchkin installer in your area:
Heat Transfer Products - Customer Support - Manufacturer of Boilers, Water Heaters, Solar Water Heating Systems and Storage Tanks

If the unit has not been serviced since installation, it's long overdue.