Boiler Pounding

Old 10-15-09, 06:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Pounding

The problem I'm having with my boiler is pounding when on. It's a 4 zone system, it only pounds when only one zone turns on. If two zones turn on the pounding stops. I have bled the system of air numerous times. I had a boiler tech in and he changed one of circulators that did nothing, but cost me 200 bucks. Can you help ??

Old 10-15-09, 07:15 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Where is the pounding heard/felt the most? My guess it would be at the manifold.

Old 10-15-09, 07:46 AM
P
You stated that the tech replace "one" of the circ pumps. Could use a little more info on the system - does it have a bypass loop, boiler model #, etc.

Can you post pictures of the system through Photobucket? It would help to see the configuration.

Old 10-15-09, 08:37 AM
J
I took Photo of the system, but I'm not sure how to post them. The pounding seems to happen when the domestic hot water turns on which is located in the basement, the lowest point of the system.

Old 10-15-09, 09:17 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why didn't you mention the domestic hot water in your first post? That changes things considerably.

Old 10-15-09, 02:48 PM
P
Sign-up for free account with Photobucket. Upload pictures. When pictures are uploaded, to the left side there will be a URL.

In your Doityourself post, reply to a message and paste the URL address into the post.

Just so I fully understand - you have a hot water boiler for radiant heat in the house, and that same boiler has a secondary heat exchanger for your domestic hot water (hot water for showers, dishwasher, laundry, etc.? You do not have a separate hot water heater?

Please post pictures.

Old 11-02-09, 03:53 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
casman, what make and model is your boiler?

Is this a NEW problem with a system that you have lived with for long enough to know it's history? OR is this a system in a home you have just moved into? In other words, do you have a "history" of the system?

You really should post the pictures that have been asked for...

Old 11-03-09, 05:54 AM
J
I have a munchkin boiler (donít cringe), the problem seems to start after additional zone was added. It only pounds when the first floor zone turns on and the domestic hot water zone turns on separately. When my second floor zone turns on it works fine, no pounding. If two or more zone turns on the pounding stops. I have bleed out all the air from the system. The pounding seems to happen near the boiler itself, near the manifold.

After checking my munchkin manual, my installer piped the system different then the manual depicts in the drawings, could this be the problem? Iím thinking about having the system re-piped to match the manual, do you think this would be necessary?

I will attempt to upload photos of the system.

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
casman, what make and model is your boiler?

Is this a NEW problem with a system that you have lived with for long enough to know it's history? OR is this a system in a home you have just moved into? In other words, do you have a "history" of the system?

You really should post the pictures that have been asked for...

Old 11-03-09, 06:07 AM
J
Old 11-03-09, 02:58 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
munchkin manual, my installer piped the system different then the manual depicts in the drawings, could this be the problem? Iím thinking about having the system re-piped to match the manual, do you think this would be necessary?
Yes, and yes.

It sounds as though the problem is that there is not enough flow through the boiler, and pretty much the only way to remedy that is going 'by the book'. It always amazes me that a company can spend a bunch of bucks producing an installation manual for their product, and Munchkin is among the best in terms of the manuals, yet the installers seem content to install them any old way they please, while using the manual as a kneepad to keep their pants clean...

I can't tell much from the pictures though... there's no shots from back a ways so we can tell what pipes we are looking at.

Munchkin makes several MODELS, which do you have?

Old 11-03-09, 06:41 PM
J
I was afraid you would say that. It looks like the main pipe going out is one inch cast. I know the book calls for a min. 1 1/4 after the into one inch copper. I was thinking about changing the main one inch to a 1 1/4, would that help? Or should the entire piping system be changed to match the book? I'm not looking for a quick fix, just something to get thru this winter then in the spring I can tear it apart and do it correctly.

I was also thinking about placing auto air bleeders at the top of each return pipe not sure if that would help?

What I don't understand is the system worked for about five years no noise, just when the other zone was added is when the pounding started. Thanks You! The model is a 140M.

PS would any other pics help you ??

Are you on the job or retired NJ Trooper?

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Yes, and yes.

It sounds as though the problem is that there is not enough flow through the boiler, and pretty much the only way to remedy that is going 'by the book'. It always amazes me that a company can spend a bunch of bucks producing an installation manual for their product, and Munchkin is among the best in terms of the manuals, yet the installers seem content to install them any old way they please, while using the manual as a kneepad to keep their pants clean...

I can't tell much from the pictures though... there's no shots from back a ways so we can tell what pipes we are looking at.

Munchkin makes several MODELS, which do you have?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: