Fuel Oil Soot in Boiler?

Old 10-18-09, 09:46 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fuel Oil Soot in Boiler?

I have a fuel oil boiler, hot water heat, Valliant with a Riello burner. There is a refractory cup inside the boiler made of a white fiber. I have replaced this a couple times but I noticed that on the left inside of the refractory, there has been a build-up of black crusted soot. This is also eating away at the refractory at this spot. I noticed that this problem started last year and thought it might disappear with a new nozzle. But when I went to clean the boiler this year, here it was again. The new nozzle didn't seem to make any difference.Any ideas??

Old 10-18-09, 10:00 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
What model Vaillant you have? I've never seen one with a Riello, was that a retro-fit?

That 'cup' is called a 'target wall'.

When you clean the boiler, do you clean the flue passes and the top heat exchanger? or just the firebox ?

Old 10-18-09, 04:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I clean the firebox, the sides have 3 chambers that run up and down. Also the upper box - the part that leads to the flue, which I clean throughly. Its a model F45 I believe and did come with the riello. Any ideas what could be causing this crusty soot in the cup? Like I said, its only on the left side in the back. Thanks for any help.
Also, where can I get parts for this unit. I tried to buy another cup but can't find any.

Old 10-18-09, 04:45 PM
NJT
I'm not familiar with the F45, only the F70 and 75... are you sure it's not an F70-45 ?

Also, where can I get parts for this unit. I tried to buy another cup but can't find any.
You can't... Vaillant doesn't sell in the US anymore, and hasn't for many years.

BUT, there's a good chance that a company named LYNN MFG makes a target wall for your boiler. So, double check the model number, then look at this:

Patriot Supply - 1117

Old 10-18-09, 04:48 PM
NJT
RIELLO - G-man !

As for what's causing the problem... the reason I asked about cleaning was because my first thought was that the flue passes were plugged up, but you said you clean them... sooooo, next I would have to think it's something with the burner itself, and I'm not a Riello guy... that's Grady's territory...

GRADY! shakin' yer cage!

Old 10-18-09, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Huh

Darn it Trooper you woke me up again.

If you are getting a build up in the same area, particularly off to one side, it is a possible indication of fuel being sprayed into that one area & not being burned. Check the end of the burner & the turbulator disc. On the disc you are looking for warping, cracks, bent fins, etc. It also must be clean. By clean, I mean if it isn't clean enough to eat off of it isn't clean. On the burner end look for an area which is burned off. It would be extremely rare but it's possible the nozzle assembly is crooked in the air tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: