Partial heating?

Old 10-18-09, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Partial heating?

When my Weil-McLain HW boiler kicks on the baseboards in the rooms closest to it seem to heat up fine but others on the other end of the house, heat up much less. Is that just physics? There is noticeable heat loss as distance increases? or is there maybe some air bubble that needs to be bled out? I guess what I'm asking is: Will a bubble, instead of stopping the flow completely, sometimes just lessen it?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 10-18-09, 04:07 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Depending on how your particular system is piped what you are seeing may be normal. If your baseboard convectors are piped in series (the outlet from one goes to the inlet of the next) then the last baseboards on the system will definitely get cooler water than will the first. When systems are piped this way the baseboards in the latter part of the system are made larger (longer) to compensate for the lower temperature water.

However, if your system is not a "series loop" design then yes, air bubbles could be causing a partial blockage to the water flow. You may also have "balancing valves" that are incorrectly set that reduce the water flow to the colder baseboards. Yet another possibility is there is dust on the fins within the enclosure or carpeting obstructing the air inlet at the bottom of the baseboards. Baseboard convectors heat the room primarily by airflow through the enclosure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: