New Boiler????

Old 10-20-09, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Boiler????

We just bought a house that has an old Burnham oil boiler that needs to be replaced. We are thinking about replacing it with with a gas boiler...We found on that qualifies for the 2009/2010 tax credit but we can't find people who have personal experience with the manufacturer...

The boiler is a Embassy Ambassador Onex Condensing Boiler.
Embassy Ambassador Onex Condensing Boiler. Embassy Onex Combi Boilers. Hot Water heating and domestic on demand hot water.

Can anyone give us some advice on this boiler? We don't want to end up with another boiler that will need to be replaced.

Our house is about 1800 sq ft and we have one bathroom and heat with baseboards.

Thanks,
Selina S.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-09, 04:50 PM
Unless you intead to install and service it yourself, I would buy a new boiler from an installer who services his particular brands.

A condensing boiler is a special animal that may not fit your existing situation. You need some professional advice from a contractor you can trust.

I'm not a tax man, but I've read that the maximum tax credit is $1500. Don't buy a new boiler just because it qualifies for the tax credit. And, there is more than one boiler that qualifies for the tax credit.

What's wrong with your existing boiler?

Old 10-21-09, 12:12 PM
Hi Selina
Unless your existing boiler is broken and in NEED of replacement, I wouldn't replace it. Don't replace it just to get a higher efficiency boiler. The cost of a new boiler will FAR outweigh the energy savings. If you do need to replace it, and want to go with a condensing gas boiler, I know the Veissman's are quite popular in the NY metro area. Buderus as well, but they are MUCH more expensive than Veissman's. If you go with Peerless high efficiency, I hear that it's actually a Munchkin boiler. I know the Peerless Partner PP-40 Indirect Fired Water Heater is actually a "Super Stor" made by Heat Transfer Products.

Old 10-21-09, 11:05 PM
That Onex gizmo is not a boiler that I would consider. Unremarkable Giannoni heat exchanger, and the domestic coil looks like a poor design.

Look at the Triangle Tube Solo, plus an indirect water heater to go with it, or the Triangle Tube Excellence series, with built-in water heater.

Old 10-29-09, 08:47 AM
What is wrong with our boiler...

Hello!

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

The problem with our boiler does not give us any domestic hot water. We were going to buy an indirect tank but with the tax credit we thought it might be better to just replace the entire boiler.

Here is the tank we were looking at....

Heat Flo Indirect Storage Tanks. Heat-Flo Hot Water Tanks. Single Heat Exchanger. Double Heat Exchanger - Heating and Solar Systems

50 gallons...

We are still not sure what we should do. Our heating side of the boiler works great but we want hot showers!!! Winter is coming!

Thanks,
Selina