water heater replacement question

Old 10-28-09, 03:23 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water heater replacement question

Sorry - I think this post wound up under the wrong topic!

I was just wondering if anyone knows whether the cost to go with an electric vs. gas (what I have now) water heater has become more competitive, with gas costs on the rise. Should I stick with gas, or is electric a reasonable option? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited by flukeslapper; 10-28-09 at 03:26 PM. Reason: wrong topic
Old 10-28-09, 05:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The cost of natural gas is currently down quite a bit from last year. I don't know how it would compare to the use of an electric water heater, but I do know that electricty isn't getting any cheaper either. Direct fired gas water heaters have a faster recovery time than an electric and indirect water tanks that run off of a boiler are even better and typically more efficient.

Old 10-28-09, 05:39 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Central NJ, my electric WH costs me about $40 a month, family of 2 adults... normal hot water useage. I haven't calculated it closely but I'm fairly certain that gas would probably be around $20-25 a month. (I can't get gas here)

Someone in the past has posted a site that compares energy prices... but I can't find that now, might be a good place to start though!

Yeah, maybe wrong place but we'll let it ride for a bit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: