24 volt transformer question

Old 10-29-09, 09:57 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
24 volt transformer question

I'm hooking up a taco zone valve and in the diagram in the directions it says L1(hot) then L2. I purchased a honeywell transformer and it is labeled C and R,which side is the hot or doesn't it matter when hooking up the valve. I was wondering if it will affect the valve from working because the #2 terminal says it needs to be hooked to the common.
Thanx
Kevin @

Last edited by NJT; 10-30-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: please, no email addresses in public forum, thanks.
Old 10-30-09, 09:53 AM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Kevin, the L1 and L2 are the PRIMARY (120 VAC) side of the transformer. The C and R should be on the low voltage side.

Reality is that it doesn't much matter which 'polarity' you use, because it's A.C. which technically doesn't have a polarity. (of course it does have polarity, but it's changing 60 times a second! )

The only time it might matter is if you had a complicated whizz bang wiring scheme with multiple transformers, etc... then you would need to be careful of the transformer 'phasing'...

If you wanted to follow the 'convention', use the C as your 24VAC 'common' and the R as your 24 VAC 'hot', and generally the RED wire is the hot ... your other wire might be white... or some other color, depending on the thermostat wire you use.

Last edited by NJT; 10-30-09 at 05:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: