Thermostat help needed

Old 10-31-09, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat help needed

Hi,
First let me say I have lurked around here a few times and it is a great site.

Onto my problem: I had changed a thermostat awhile ago for a newer programmable one, replacing an older programmable one.
And that thermostat didn't seem to be working correctly, so I bought a different one which also does not seem to be working correctly.Or I have not installed them correctly, more likely huh...

OK I have a 1970`s era Peerless Gas Boiler # MMW-145-WC hot water baseboard,with Honeywell Aquastat relay # type L8148E ( the 3 wires to the thermostat connect to aquastat are as follows green to "tv" then red to "w" then white to "t") .

My system is a 3 zone system and I also have central a/c .

The zone valves are Honeywell #v8043e1012 motorized valve.

My present thermostat is a Rite Temp from Home Depot Model # 6022

I also have a Honeywell RTH 7400 (presently not in use)

the wiring coming out of the wall to thermostat are as follows, there are 2 sets I guess 1 for a/c and 1 for heat

1 set is 5 wires: yellow,red,green,white and blue with only yellow,red,green being used.

the 2nd set is only 2 wires red and white/cream both being used.

Hope I got everything and hope I can get some help wife is always cold...............

Thank you in advance

Old 10-31-09, 02:09 PM
D
So what exactly is the problem? You don't know how to hook them up?

Old 10-31-09, 03:25 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
There is a whole forum for thermostats, but this sounds like it's overlapping into boiler control territory a bit...

If you've got zone valves, why are the thermostats wired to the aquastat? Why aren't the thermostats wired to the zone valves, and the endswitches on the zone valves wired to the aquastat?

Old 11-01-09, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
There is a whole forum for thermostats, but this sounds like it's overlapping into boiler control territory a bit...

If you've got zone valves, why are the thermostats wired to the aquastat? Why aren't the thermostats wired to the zone valves, and the endswitches on the zone valves wired to the aquastat?
well I dont know, that could be the way they are wired, i may have written it oncorrectly. I can tell you I did not do the wiring and I am not the original owner it was like this when I bought...But I can tell you that it did work correctly until i switched the thermostat. So should I be in the thermostat area ??

Old 11-01-09, 01:06 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
So should I be in the thermostat area ??
Maybe... but they might send you back here...

Have you visited this website, and did it not help?

The RiteTemp Support Site - Label and Remove Wires
(yeah, right, never mind... "under construction"... lotta help that is! I don't get it... why do companies post "Under construction"... or 'Coming soon"... why don't they just do it, then tell us it's done? How many 'under constructions' are that way for YEARS!?... [end personal pet peeve rant mode])

Are you sure that the wires on the 8148 are the wires to the thermostat? Just because the colors are there, doesn't mean it's so... can you actually physically trace them there?

The RED and WHITE wires are for the heat, most likely... depends on what terminals they were on on the old thermostat that worked.

The others, are no doubt for the A/C unit.

You need to sort out what's what before we are gonna get anywhere.

As I mentioned in my first post, USUALLY what you will find is that the zone thermostats are connected to the respective ZONE VALVE, not the aquastat. The thermostat doesn't directly fire up the heating system, it opens the zone valve. THEN, when the zone valve opens, there is a switch inside the zone valve that switches and is connected to the aquastat that signals for heat.

Hope this bit of explanation helps a bit!

Old 11-01-09, 01:42 PM
a tad, and I think I said it wrong , as it seems that the thermostats wire into the zone valves then on to the aquastat as you said. Are there no standands for colors on wires, understanding someone may not have followed them.

QUESTION. would the colors from one of the other zone thermostats be any kind of guide( my thoughts are I miswired/mislabeled the wires) and the problem is a wiring problem as I can turn heat on using a different zone thermostat. THE one miswired is the only one that controls a/c and heat the rest are just heat,,,

Old 11-01-09, 02:09 PM
D
There is somewhat of a standard, but it isn't always followed. The instructions will tell you what each connection does. You should check the other end of the wires to see if they are connected correctly at your boiler / a/c.

That Ritetemp thermostat also has jumpers that need to be set properly according to what type of heating and cooling you have.

If everything is color coded properly, make sure the red wire from the boiler is connected to RH and the red wire from the a/c is connected to RC.

You may also find this helpful thermostat wiring color codes

Old 11-01-09, 02:15 PM
Thanks I will check that...

As if things are not strange enough.... I just used the first floor thermostat to turn on the heat down on 1st floor, well the heat on both the 1st floor and the main(2nd floor) came on...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: