Boiler Won't Fire

Old 11-02-09, 07:16 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Won't Fire

I have a Smith Oil fired boiler that I found in the reset position. Upon reset it runs for about 20 seconds, but does not seem to fire.
  • I do have oil
  • Oil is getting to the nozzle and the nozzle seems clear.
  • Unfortunately I did not have a new nozzle.
  • It doesn't seem to fire even for a moment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben

Old 11-03-09, 01:24 AM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Could be lotsa things Ben... transformer, primary control, Cad cell... to name a few. When was the last time it was serviced?

Don't keep pushing the reset, and if you have pushed it a whole bunch of times, make sure you tell the tech that you did... you might have a bunch of unburnt fuel in the chamber now...

I think you want to call a tech.

Old 11-03-09, 08:47 AM
A
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
Could be lotsa things Ben... transformer, primary control, Cad cell... to name a few. When was the last time it was serviced?

Don't keep pushing the reset, and if you have pushed it a whole bunch of times, make sure you tell the tech that you did... you might have a bunch of unburnt fuel in the chamber now...

I think you want to call a tech.
I'd like to try a few things first. I plan to replace the nozzle with a new one this afternoon. Hopefully, I will have some luck there.

I've also been advised to check the alignment of the electrodes and to also check to be sure that voltage is getting to the electrodes.

I'm hopeful that this is a simple fix and will certainly call a tech. when I've exhausted my bag of tricks.

Any and all help / advice is appreciated.

Ben

Old 11-03-09, 07:08 PM
F
Exclamation

How many times did you push the reset and try to fire it?

I agree with NJ Trooper that this sounds like it should be looked at by an oil burner tech. Just tinkering with it to make it fire will at best result in an improperly adjusted burner that is going to soot up your equipment and waste fuel or it could be straight up dangerous.

The nozzle should be replaced with the proper one for the equipment. Just looking at it isn't good enough. The nozzle size, spray angle and cone type must be correct as well as the pump pressure.

A combustion analysis should also be performed as part of the service.

Old 11-04-09, 05:12 AM
A
I changed the nozzle last night, but that did not seem to fix the problem Calling a tech. today.

Ben

Old 11-04-09, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by formula74 View Post
How many times did you push the reset and try to fire it?

Once is plenty 2 X STOP.

I agree with NJ Trooper that this sounds like it should be looked at by an oil burner tech. Just tinkering with it to make it fire will at best result in an improperly adjusted burner that is going to soot up your equipment and waste fuel or it could be straight up dangerous.

The nozzle should be replaced with the proper one for the equipment. Just looking at it isn't good enough. The nozzle size, spray angle and cone type must be correct as well as the pump pressure

A nickle isa ole term setting between gap.

A combustion analysis should also be performed as part of the service.
Originally Posted by Adk_Ben View Post
I changed the nozzle last night, but that did not seem to fix the problem Calling a tech. today.

Ben
Check for build up on end of nose cone clean off then retry.

Read all and reply

Old 11-09-09, 05:26 PM
A
In case anyone is interested, it was a bad transformer. Service tech stated that the boiler looks good, including the electrode alignment and cleaning... score one for me!!

Old 11-09-09, 05:35 PM
F
Good to hear it's back up and running. Now you can put this one in your bag of diagnostic tricks for next time I'd say the burner tech visit was well worth it.

cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: