Honeywell V8043 Zone valve wiring

Old 11-03-09, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a peerless WBV3 CTPl boiler with a coil and 3 zone valves. I took out the aqua stor water storage. So now my question is how do I do the wiring between the thermostat - the Honeywell Zone Valves - the thermostat and the Honey well control L7224 A.

I thought that the wiring is like this and pleasre advise me if I am wrong

Yellow lead from V8043E1012 goes to white of thermostat
2nd yellow goes to white of Honey well Transformer 24V40VA
The red thermostat wire goes to black of Transformer
The 2 Red wires (Zone Switch ) go to the T T terminals in the L7224A control box.

I have 3 Zones and no circulator on the zones but the boiler (peerless) has a circulator.
Any help given will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 04:58 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Tony, a couple things to clear up first...

You say that your boiler has a 'coil'... just wanna be sure you are talking about the domestic hot water coil.

You said that you 'removed the aqua stor' tank... how come? Did you abandon using the boiler for domestic hot water, and also abandon the coil in the boiler?

And now you are swapping out the boiler aquastat from the old 'triple' aquastat and installing the L7224 to run the boiler as a cold start?

It sounds as though you have the wiring correct. But you must be asking questions because it's not working?

This basic diagram without wire colors, etc, shows the hookup for two valves... imagine there's three... and I believe that it illustrates and agrees with your description:

Old 11-03-09, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Zone valve wiring

This should help:
Series WBV/WV

Click on the IO&M manual tab & look at figure 4-7 for zoning with zone valves.

Old 11-03-09, 05:25 PM

Well NJ Trooper, thanks for the quick reply, to give a little more information. We had a basement flood - 5 ft of water so all the mechanicals of the boiler were gone. It was an old HB Smith so ended up putting in a new peerless 3 section and put the coil - 5 gpm and in turn abandoned the aquastor and now the heat is from the boiler and the DHW is from the coil. Will finally put in a Indirect Fired when we recuperate financially from the catastrophic flood caused by the T & P discharging water while we were on a 2 week vacation.

So now we have a new transformer/boiler/zone valves and coil with a L7224A aquastat. What is your opinion about the Indirect boiler as such.

Old 11-03-09, 05:47 PM
NJT
OUCH! I feel yer pain...

Yes, when you can, go with the indirect. I doubt that you will get much joy out of the coil in the boiler, although when new they can do an adequate job... did you install a tempering valve on the outlet of the coil to maintain the supply to the home at around 120?

I'm not sure if the OEM version of the 7224 will allow you to turn off the 'triple' aquastat feature when it's time to install the indirect or not... I do know that the standard non-OEM version do allow that... the L7224U model.

This is putting the horse behind the cart, but google "Water Cop" and think about that... some models will dial a telephone number.

Old 11-03-09, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
OUCH! I feel yer pain...
Well I am thinking of installing a leak guardian which a plumbing friend recomended - although WATER COP seems to be more prevalant it is more expensive

Last edited by NJT; 11-03-09 at 09:13 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11-03-09, 09:15 PM
NJT
Whatever works, and fits your pocketbook is the right choice!

Hopefully you will never need it again!

Old 11-03-09, 10:37 PM
NJ Trooper, Yes I did install a Honeywell mixing/tempering valve on the outlet. Just a thought any ideas as to which is a good indirect boiler and I was thinking of feeding the indirect via the coil in the boiler - any suggestions - pros or cons to this idea - is it even feasible. What's your take on this

Old 11-04-09, 03:32 PM
NJT
There's a number of good indirects out there... Maybe some of the others will chime in with their preferences... I don't really have any opinion to speak of on that...

I don't know that feeding the indirect through the coil would gain anything much... personally, I would just abandon the coil when I installed the indirect. Those coils 'lime up' and the flow starts to drop, you wouldn't want that if you had the indirect tank.