new boiler vs repair old boiler

Old 11-26-09, 04:07 PM
new boiler vs repair old boiler

My boiler is between 15 to 18 yrs. old. I just had a new pump installed as the coupler was wearing out and was very noisy. Also was leaking. Also needed to trouble shoot thermostat in zone 2. Turns out the old home owners had by passed the damper and had cut the wires. Wiring very messed up. Was told about 1200 to rewire system or 4500 for a whole new boiler installed. Is it worth 3300 more for a new system at this point?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-09, 05:54 PM
NJT
TWELVE HUNDRED!? to rewire a boiler? Sounds pretty high to me... either that or he was high... I mean, how 'messed up' could it really be that it requires complete rewiring? What have you got, ten dozen zones or something?

While a 15-18 y.o. boiler isn't wet behind the ears, neither is there hair growing out it's ears... there could easily be another 10-15 years left in there, depending on the overall condition.

What make/model boiler is it?

Old 11-26-09, 09:53 PM
Question

Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
TWELVE HUNDRED!? to rewire a boiler? Sounds pretty high to me... either that or he was high... I mean, how 'messed up' could it really be that it requires complete rewiring? What have you got, ten dozen zones or something?

While a 15-18 y.o. boiler isn't wet behind the ears, neither is there hair growing out it's ears... there could easily be another 10-15 years left in there, depending on the overall condition.

What make/model boiler is it?

It is a Teledyne Laars Mini Therm II model JVT125N, Serial number is V94E03774. The damper wires have been cut out of the system and bypassed. All kinds of wires and wire nuts ect. Going to try to send photos. Any advice would be great! MobileMe Gallery

Last edited by 2dogshunt; 11-26-09 at 11:07 PM. Reason: to add serial #
Old 11-27-09, 02:38 AM
At first glance 1200 does seem high. From what we can see there are a 2 - 3 hours of messed up wiring and testing there for 1 tech. Are they installing a new vent damper? I'm not familiar enough with Teledyne Laars to know if they used a standard or proprietary damper.

Old 11-27-09, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by OldGrouchy View Post
At first glance 1200 does seem high. From what we can see there are a 2 - 3 hours of messed up wiring and testing there for 1 tech. Are they installing a new vent damper? I'm not familiar enough with Teledyne Laars to know if they used a standard or proprietary damper.

I don't know what kind of damper it is either. Yes it would be to get the damper back to working order. All new wires and harness. (the panel with all the wires) Some type of a junction box for all the wires to thermostats to go into. And to move zone 1 thermostat. As both thermostats are right next to each other in the upstairs hall. Zone 2 thermostat is no longer working. I think not working from the wiring mess. Thanks for all the time you are putting into this for me as either way it is a lot of money.

Old 11-27-09, 05:05 AM
Now that we know the whole story it sounds like a deal to me. Test, re-wire, move thermostat and get vent damper to operate. The vent damper with labor alone will be pushing 1/2 of that amount. Move a thermostat, we all know what that may involve.
If the price to replace will include straightening out the wiring and moving thermostat it only comes down to deciding if you want a new boiler or not. There is some life left in this boiler but you are putting off the inevitable. The price of boilers will only continue to climb.
You need to ask yourself a question. "Do I put $1200.00 into a boiler your not sure when it will fail or Invest that money into a new product with warranty" To move on we can only suggest proper sizing to maximize fuel savings. Do not size off the old boiler or the amount of radiation.

Old 11-27-09, 06:03 AM
Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
Now that we know the whole story it sounds like a deal to me. Test, re-wire, move thermostat and get vent damper to operate. The vent damper with labor alone will be pushing 1/2 of that amount. Move a thermostat, we all know what that may involve.
Agreed! Does the whole boiler price include relocating the thermostat?

Old 11-27-09, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by OldGrouchy View Post
Agreed! Does the whole boiler price include relocating the thermostat?
yes it does. Right now I am leaning towards new vs repair just from a safety and peace of mind thing. We have found so many things that were jerry rigged ect since we have moved in. Like the wiring for the phones, light switches, sprinkler system. Neighbor said the guy did things on the cheap. Thanks all for all the time and advice!

Old 11-27-09, 08:59 AM
NJT
Yeah, that is more work than it first appeared. I'm a little familiar with the Mini-therms... there is a bit more wiring involved with them. They also are a copper tube heat exchanger, and for various reasons they do tend to get 'limed up'... probably most times due to improper near-boiler piping. Copper tube units are very sensitive to proper flow through the boiler, and most that I've seen aren't piped with the proper bypass setup.

To parrot rbeck, DO THE HEAT LOSS!