Fields Control Power venter rotting


  #1  
Old 11-27-09, 06:10 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,856
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Fields Control Power venter rotting

Any ideas on a rotting power venter of stainless installed in Mar 03??? I posted a pic on photobucket
 
  #2  
Old 11-27-09, 06:31 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,401
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Link?

How about a link to the pic on photobucket. I can't read the notes on the one here.
 
  #3  
Old 11-27-09, 06:36 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 65
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pictures by hvac_01453 - Photobucket


Salt air? Exhaust too cold? When mine was installed we had to throttle it way down or it just pulled too much air, made too much draft and the exhaust was real cool.
 
  #4  
Old 11-28-09, 05:22 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,401
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Corrosion

I suggest you contact Field Controls. They may be able to suggest a local servicer to take a look. You mentioned salt air. How close to the coast are you?
Four years is certainly a short lifespan.
 
  #5  
Old 11-29-09, 08:05 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,856
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
power venter

The supply house only sells the motor and wheel I found a cover online but the manufacturer doesn't sell any parts like you would see on an exploded view diagram with part numbers. The notes are just pointing to the rott and model# SWG-4HDs the only thing I know of that will oxidize stainless is chlorine. This unit has an adjustable damper control inside the power venter itself AND I have a barametric damper as well. I'm nowhere near the coast (Central Mass), so salt isn't an issue. This unit is expensive and can't be replacing it every 6 years...
 
  #6  
Old 11-30-09, 04:58 AM
X
Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,455
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the unit near a dryer vent? All kinds of funky chemical stuff comes out of dryer vents. Chlorine from chlorinated water, chlorine from bleach and other detergents, and all sorts of non-chlorine chemicals in various detergents, fabric softeners and the like.
 
  #7  
Old 12-07-09, 04:52 PM
KField's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Easton, PA
Posts: 3,245
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, depending on the makeup of your fuel sulphuric acid is bound to occur. The real question is why didn't the smokepipe leading to the inducer disintegrate too? Possibly the moisture that makes the sulphur acidic occurs IN the inducer. Like if there is any outside air brought into the inducer near the fanwheel. I can't picture the inner workings of that inducer but I know there is a thin gasket where the motor meets the housing. Maybe that is allowing outside air to get sucked into and mixed with the exhaust from the boiler. When the high sulphur fuel goes off the market your problem will go away too. Grady uses low sulphur fuel in his equipment and I bet he can vouch for the cleanliness of it.

If you find a reason, please let us know because one of us will surely run into this at some point. I do have more faith in the stainless model than the regular one.

Ken
 
  #8  
Old 12-07-09, 05:02 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,401
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
Low Sulfur

Welcome back, Ken. It's been quite a while since I've seen you posting.

In fact I'm now using ultra low sulfur dyed diesel. It's amazing how much cleaner equipment, including the venting system stays.
 
  #9  
Old 12-07-09, 06:52 PM
H
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,856
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
tuning

I might try retuning the unit again. I use the old fashioned Bachrach with the Fyrite hourglass bottle.... I went to a Carlin class and they promote checking O2 readings rather than CO2...The odor seems to sting my nose when I get a wiff of a bit of the residual exhaust dust particles even when I was brushing down the boiler. This Columbia Boiler always gets a good pile of ash at the base of the exhaust pipe and about 1/2" in the horizontal runs.
The unit pulls in outside air to cool off the pipe as it passes thru the wall so it doesnt burn the place down... Its a tube in tube. No doubt, I'm sure some of the exhaust gases get recirculated being so close...The deck is 7 or 8 feet above. I'm sure water drips down and the area stays a bit more damp, and its an insided corner area where its located as well. I hope that sulphur gets removed ASAP! Two families are using this boiler to operate the house,...it must be 4K SQ FT
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: