Life Expectancy * What are the top brands?

Old 11-30-09, 04:44 PM
Life Expectancy * What are the top brands?

What is the life expectancy for a Teledyne Laars Mini Therm II?
From what I see online some folks love them. Some folks say they are dogs. Cant find any consumer reviews on brands.
Any thoughts on some of the better brands of hot water boilers

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-09, 05:48 PM
In 30 years or so, we can tell you the 2009 models with the longest life expectancy

Are you intending to hire someone to install your boiler? After you check their references, etc., I would go with the brand that he recommends and supports, hopefully well into the future.

My advice: select installer first.

Old 11-30-09, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Speed 30 View Post
In 30 years or so, we can tell you the 2009 models with the longest life expectancy

Are you intending to hire someone to install your boiler? After you check their references, etc., I would go with the brand that he recommends and supports, hopefully well into the future.

My advice: select installer first.
my boiler is 15. I just had a pump put in as the old one was leaking and coupler going bad. Wanted tech to trouble shoot wiring as zone II thermostat not working. Wires are all messed up. Damper wires cut out of system and has been bypassed. Bid of 1200 to rewire or 4500 for a new version of what I have. Another web site said Larrs are bad. Dont know as they have been around for a long time. Have a 2nd tech coming out on friday. He says he would not rewire the damper or replace unit yet. Says he can do the job for cheaper. Just not sure what to do.

Old 11-30-09, 06:37 PM
A 15-year-old boiler is a youngster. I would find somebody who could straighten out the wiring. I would offer to pay him for his hourly rate, plus any material.

Old 11-30-09, 09:33 PM
life expectancy

My oil fired System 2000 is 25 yrs old and showing no sign of weakness. They are built the same now so I would expect the same life from a new one.

My Laars Max is only 11 yrs old but seems to be just as well built.

I have started to install Buderus, which look like they should last forever.

Old 12-01-09, 04:01 AM
Overall any boiler installed would give a long life if properly installed and maintained. The suggestion to pick the installer first is one to follow to maximize boiler life, get references.
Important info when buying a new boiler.
Pick a good installing contractor. Get references.
Proper sizing
Proper piping and venting
Proper set-up
Properly maintained every year
Miss any of the steps above and the boiler life is shortened.