installing auto fill to steam heating system

Old 12-02-09, 08:18 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing auto fill to steam heating system

Hi- I am going to install a device onto my hot water heater (steam heat) that will auto fill the water when the level is low. Currently when the water runs low, the heat shuts off and we have to add water manually. Plumbers I speak with are using different terms and descriptions for this including "auto-fill" which requires an electrician to wire and "fast-fill" which is added into the piping and doesn't require an electrician.

What is this part officially called? Should this involve an electrician as well? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-02-09, 01:00 PM
Received 40 Votes on 34 Posts
It is called an auto fill. These are electrically operated when the low water cut-off gets near a shut off condition. There is also a mechanical type which does not need wired, that is connected to a float type low water cut off which is a M&M #47-2. This would mean replacing your current low water cut-off with the combination low water cut-off and mechanical feeder in one unit.
Just keep in mind these are not designed to replace the manual feeding of water. They are there for emergency use only. You should still maintain the water level near the manufacturers Normal Water Level measurement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: