Bell & Gosset Pressure/fill valve

Old 12-05-09, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bell & Gosset Pressure/fill valve

How do I set the pressure on this valve? Threaded set turns in/down or out/up. Which will lover the pressure on the hot water system?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-09, 04:02 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Clockwise/IN/DOWN will raise the pressure.

Counter-clockwise/OUT/UP will lower the pressure.

Turning counter-clockwise won't lower the pressure that is ALREADY in the boiler though. You need to manually release that pressure with a drain valve.

But, before you do anything, tell us why you are asking, because I suspect you may be trying to do the wrong thing.

Old 12-05-09, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
But, before you do anything, tell us why you are asking, because I suspect you may be trying to do the wrong thing.
10-4 that.

If your pressure is too high, the fill-valve may be leaking past the seat. Or the expansion tank may have lost its air cushion.

A B&G fill-valve very seldom, if ever, needs adjustment. But, after a few decades, they can leak past their seat.

Old 12-06-09, 08:11 AM
system pressure

The system pressure has drifted up to 30 psig and holding. That pressure puts it right at the relief valve set pressure, which then starts to weep thru (not lift), just dripping leakage.

The only change to the system was a recent installation of a new air eliminator and a new three speed circulating pump (now set on the middle speed).

Open to any ideas you have as to what the problems may be?

Thanks

Old 12-06-09, 08:24 AM
Either the fill valve is leaking past the seat or the expansion tank has lost its air cushion. Adjusting the fill-valve pressure setting won't help either of those problems.

Probably, you have a shutoff valve between the city water supply and the fill valve? If so, shut it. Then drain down the system until the boiler's cold pressure (i.e., shut down and wait for it to come to room temp) is about 12-13 psi. Start the boiler again, and see what the pressure is with the boiler hot. If it levels out around 15-18 psi, then I would say the fill valve needs to be replaced - in the meantime, leave the shutoff valve closed.

If the hot pressure goes up to 20+ psi, then the expansion valve is waterlogged.

What type of expansion tank do you have? A conventional steel tank or a bladder type (looks like R2D2)? For a conventional tank, you should not have a separate air eliminator (e.g., a Maid-O-Mist).

You don't want to run for a prolonged period with the relief valve dripping. That will put in a continual flow of city make-up water, containing harmful disolved oxygen.

Old 12-06-09, 08:31 AM
system pressure

It is an bladder type expansion tank, An Amitrol/ Extrol version

Old 12-06-09, 08:56 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
My bet is on the expansion tank being waterlogged. But, if you've already adjusted the reducing valve, you're gonna have to fiddle with that to get it back where it was.

Is there a shutoff valve between the expansion tank and the rest of the system piping? (usually not, but it makes life easier if there is one... some guys install them, some don't)

Can you take digital pics of the system? If so, show us all the valves and stuff... take a few from a distance back so we can see how it's all fit together. Set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload the pics there. Come back here and place a link to your photo album.

We'll better be able to advise the best way to check/service the tank when we see those.