Boiler heat questions...

Old 12-05-09, 02:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler heat questions...

I am moving into an older home with baseboard/boiler water heat. The boiler is located in a laundry room and after turning on the heat I could smell gas, Is this common when these units are heating? I don't smell it when its not fired. Also I was wondering if you need to put water in the boiler or is it somehow fed? If so how? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-05-09, 03:10 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Sarge, NO! you should not smell gas!

You might get some strange smells as things that have not been hot in a while are heated, but if it is truly gas that you are smelling, then something is way wrong. Shut it off!

You might do well to have your system inspected by a competent heating technician.

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE ! that your CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS are functioning properly!

There is most likely a "Pressure Reducing Valve" on your system that will automatically keep the pressure when the boiler is cool at between 12-15 PSI. Look for a pipe from the domestic water supply to the boiler. There should be a MANUAL shut-off valve, then possibly an optional 'back flow preventer', and then a bell shaped thing (this is your Pressure Reducing, or Auto Fill Valve) ... possibly another manual valve, then on to the boiler.

I say 'most likely', because some older systems (and even some newer ones) won't have this part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: