Placement of TT Condensate Neutralizer

Old 12-06-09, 02:38 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Placement of TT Condensate Neutralizer

I picked up a condensate neutralizer for my Triangle Tube Prestige boiler. There's a sticker on it that says to place it horizontally between the boiler and the condensate pump. The condensate pump is directly beneath the boiler, so it would be a whole lot easier to place it vertically. In fact, the barb on one end could drain directly into the condensate pump reservoir without any additional tubing if vertical mounting is okay.

I can't imagine why the orientation would matter since it's basically just a section of PVC pipe with crushed stone inside. Does anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't have condensate drain through it vertically?

Old 12-06-09, 03:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If the condensate drains too rapidly through the neutralized it won't have time to completely neutralize. You can install it vertically but run the condensate in the bottom and out the top into the condensate pump's receiver. That will trap the condensate and it will need to rise up through the neutralizer to enter the pump receiver.

Or set it horizontally and bring the outlet up and into the pump receiver.

Quite honestly, you could probably just fill the pump receiver with the marble chips and let the condensate run directly into the pump receiver and everything would be cool.

Old 12-06-09, 03:34 PM
M
Probably best to call the manufactuer and ask them.

But here is a guess: maybe in the vertical positions, fines from the neutralizing media may migrate toward the outlet and perhaps cause channeling through the media.

Why are you installing the neutralizer? I assume the condensate goes into the sewer; if so, is the concern the corrosion of the sewer piping? Many recently built houses have plastic sewer piping.

At another house, I had a warm-air condensing furnace and just put the condensate into the basement floor drain for 10 years. It also had a duct-mounted humidifier, with continuous blowdown going to the floor drain, which would have diltuted the condensate somewhat.

EDIT: The example I gave was for a gas-fired condensing furnace. That condensate probably isn't comparable to an oil-fired situation?

Old 12-06-09, 03:37 PM
G
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Quite honestly, you could probably just fill the pump receiver with the marble chips and let the condensate run directly into the pump receiver and everything would be cool.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Would there be any concern that the pump might get clogged with the marble chips if they're sitting directly in its reservoir?

Old 12-06-09, 03:40 PM
G
Originally Posted by Mike Speed 30 View Post
Why are you installing the neutralizer? I assume the condensate goes into the sewer; if so, is the concern the corrosion of the sewer piping? Many recently built houses have plastic sewer piping.
The condensate is going into the septic system. I've heard many people say that it won't do any harm to a septic tank and other say that the good bacteria in the septic tank won't like the acidity. I'm not sure which is true, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to neutralize it just in case. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Old 12-06-09, 03:46 PM
M
Oh, OK. Sounds reasonable to me.

Old 12-06-09, 04:08 PM
F
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. Would there be any concern that the pump might get clogged with the marble chips if they're sitting directly in its reservoir?
Doubtful. There is already a strainer/screen on the pump suction and anything that can pass through that screen will definitely not harm the pump.

Old 12-06-09, 04:16 PM
M
Originally Posted by furd View Post
Doubtful. There is already a strainer/screen on the pump suction and anything that can pass through that screen will definitely not harm the pump.
And, if fines are small enough to get through the screen, so what? They shouldn't hurt your septic tank.

But, you might check the pump's suction strainer periodically to make sure it's not clogged with fines.

Old 12-07-09, 11:25 AM
G
Thanks guys. I guess I'll try mounting it vertically first and test the condensate. If it's still acidic, I'll put the marble chips into the pump reservoir and retest.

Old 12-13-09, 07:12 AM
G
I went ahead and mounted it vertically, so the condensate from the boiler drains down into one end of the neutralizer. The other end of the neutralizer drains directly into the pump reservoir. I let it go for a few days and then tested the condensate. Before the neutralizer was in place, the PH was around 3, and now it's around 7. I guess that means it works.

Old 12-13-09, 12:47 PM
F
Thank you for that progress report. You might want to continue checking the pH on a monthly basis.

Old 12-13-09, 03:56 PM
G
I'll continue to monitor it to make sure it keeps working. Is there a specific kind of marble chips that I'll need to use when it comes time to refill it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: