Zero PSI and other boiler fun

Old 12-10-09, 05:06 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Zero PSI and other boiler fun

Greetings, all,
I found my way here last night looking for some guidance in figuring out why the baseboards on the second floor of my house are not blowing out heat like the baseboards on the first floor.

It sounded like there may be air in the system that needed to be bled out. I tinkered with the zone valves (there are two sets of three, one with red tags and another with white tag) and wound up draining water from the release on the side, which dropped my PSI near zero. A couple hours later, the PSI is still way down, which seems to be problematic.

As you can tell, I am really, really not at all handy. I am not sure why there are two sets of zone valves, and when I started, the second set (the white tags/the one facing the wall, behind the first set) had one valve that was completely cold. I thought this may be related to the lack of heat on the second floor, but after tinkering a bit, the cold valve warmed up while the second floor never did.

Should I throw in the towel and call a professional? Are there any easy things someone would be willing to guide me through doing? If so, I appreciate it. If not, I appreciate the consideration.

The boiler is a Wiel-McClain, and I am told it is about 30-35 years old. I know I will have to replace it, but I am hoping to keep it keeping us warm for another year or two, till I finish school.

Regards,
SSE

Old 12-10-09, 07:09 AM
S
More info?

Is there more info I could get that would be helpful to finding out what is happening with the boiler? Thanks.

Old 12-10-09, 07:27 AM
M
The reason the pressure is low is that you drained water out of the system. Open the shutoff valve between the city water supply and the fill valve. Then open the fast-fill lever on the fill valve until the pressure gets up to about 12 psi (cold). Then bleed air out of the system.

With a voltmeter, check if you're getting voltage to the zone valves when the corresponding thermostat is calling for heat.

Old 12-10-09, 03:14 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
One of the most helpful things at this point would be to show us the system.

Take a bunch of digipics, show us all the valves, etc... and take several from standing back a way so we can relate the parts ... try to get them clear and well lighted and large enough so we can actually see them (remember, many of us are old!).

Free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload there. Come back here and post a link to your album so we can view.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: