Please Help - Weil McLain Boiler Problem

Old 12-11-09, 10:11 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help - Weil McLain Boiler Problem

Hello everyone, I'm hoping that someone out there can help me with this problem. I've got an Ultra Series 2 Gas fired boiler that continues to plague me with the b-25 soft lockout message. The boiler was installed about 2.5 years ago and it's almost always done this. The error means that the outlet water temperature rose too quickly.

The contractor who installed it has given up, I've tried another and they can't solve the problem. Weil McLain in Canada is close to useless. This boiler will usually reset and eventually kick in but sometime this doesn't happen for a long time and the house gets pretty cold. I've got two little kids with another baby on the way and my wife is all over me to get this resolved . I live in Canada and it gets pretty cold here in the winter.

My boiler runs an infloor heating system with multiple zones (2 in basement, kitchen, bathrooms, garage). It also drives a direct hot water heater and feeds and air handler to service the upper level of the house when it's really cold. When it's not that cold outside, the infloor will handle most of the heating requirements but the air handler will kick in when required to provide some additional heat.

Note, the problem isn't an issue for the May-Sep timeframe as only the DHW is calling on the boiler. I have just installed a pool though that I'd like to heat next year with the boiler and a heat exchanger combo.

Any suggestions for eliminating this soft lockout error would be appreciated....

Thank You!

Old 12-12-09, 01:51 AM
X
I believe there is a new board and/or a firmware upgrade to address this.

You could also first try setting the pre- and post-purge times to 90sec. I think the default is 30. This might fix the problem without going to the new board option.

Old 12-12-09, 06:20 AM
M
Usually, moving water more quickly through the boiler corrects this. Try a different pump (Taco 0014)? I tend to pipe my Weil-McLain Ultra boilers through a hydraulic separator to avoid flow problems like these.
See pic:
Zelig boiler on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-12-09, 09:09 PM
D
Originally Posted by xiphias View Post

You could also first try setting the pre- and post-purge times to 90sec. I think the default is 30. This might fix the problem without going to the new board option.
I will see if I can figure out how to adjust that setting. How do I find out for sure if there is a new board that addresses this?

Old 12-12-09, 09:12 PM
D
Originally Posted by MasterPlvmber View Post
Usually, moving water more quickly through the boiler corrects this. Try a different pump (Taco 0014)?
I'm using a few grundfos pumps on my system but I will look into your suggestion at moving the water quicker. Thanks!

Old 12-12-09, 09:37 PM
D
Originally Posted by xiphias View Post

Actually, I checked the manual and it says prepurge time is 10 seconds while post purge is 15 seconds. It doesn't say how to change these though.

Old 01-04-10, 07:06 AM
D
I checked with Weil McClain and they say that there is no firmware update to correct this. I believe that this might apply to the series 3 boilers, but I have a series 2. Any other ideas as the boiler is constantly tripped out with error codes. Seems worse when the weather gets colder. It eventually resets itself but sometimes it can be quite awhile and the house starts to get pretty cold.

Old 01-04-10, 02:54 PM
X
Try Weil-McLain U.S., not Canada. You might also try the counter folks at a local Weil dealer/supply house.

I'm looking at the control supplement. Is that what you are looking at?

Old 01-04-10, 03:03 PM
D
Can you provide a link to the Series 2 manual?
http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...ilermanual.pdf

Here's another one that details the error codes:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multim...ontrolsupp.pdf

Thank you!!

Old 01-14-10, 12:31 PM
D
Narrowing in on it.

I think I'm getting closer to an answer to this B-25 Error. My boiler feeds two infloor zones (one is the concrete slab in home and garage and the other is the under floor heat for the kitchen and bathrooms upstairs), my hot water heater and my air handler. It seems that the error is triggered with the air handler runs which is only usually at night when the solar gain from the day time disappears. When the air handler runs I sometimes get the B25 error but not always.

The system is piped with black iron pipe that is 1 and 1/4" for the in-floor zones and it drops to 3/4" for the hot water tank and the air handler. The install manual suggests that nothing less than 1" should be used. I'm wondering if when the air handler calls and if it's the only thing calling, could that line reduction cause the error as not enough water is moving through the boiler and then I get the error stating that outlet water temp rose too quickly? I don't seem to get it from the hot water tank as it's got two pumps feeding two coils respectively. The 2 pumps are pulling the water through 2 3/4" lines which makes up for the smaller lines, but the air handler only has the one line pump so it's not enough flow.

Anyway, do any of you think this is a possibility?

Old 04-14-10, 02:00 PM
H
Not a recommended fix, but hoping info might help.

HI -

I've been having the same problem with my Ultra and have stumped many a pro on this as well. We've increased the pump size, cleaned it serviced, etc. and still get the lockouts (as well as a very unpleasant and worrisome odor). The only thing that I have noticed is that if I actually unscrew the front cover of the boiler and let more air in, it will usually stop the lockouts. I know this is not a recommended fix, but it has happened enough that it is not a coincidence, and I thought I'd throw it out there in case this info is useful to someone who knows what he is talking about. Any thoughts?

Old 04-15-10, 08:20 AM
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I did not look at the manuals but proper flow is critical on these puppies.
If the say 1" minimum pipe size that is about twice as much flow as a 3/4" pipe. See this link.
Multiple_boiler Installation

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: