Honeywell R8182d problems

Old 12-12-09, 06:30 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell R8182d problems

How's it going,I have a R8182d that is not working properly.It does the heat and hot water,what happens is the boiler will not kick back on.
I reset it and the boiler comes on,runs to high setting(180).Circulator will kick in and run for awhile then shuts off.This is where the problem occurs,the boiler does not kick back on.If I lower the lo setting from 160 to 140,the circulator kicks back on.Then I have to reset and the boiler kicks back on and I'm back to square one.
Any help trying to understand what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-09, 09:22 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You need to tell us a bit more...

What boiler?

When you say 'reset button' are you talking about the reset button on the 8182?

If that button is popping, it indicates a problem with the burner more than likely.
When was the last time you had the burner serviced?

Old 12-12-09, 09:43 AM
J
Sorry
Furnace is a No.FD12 Smith-Pac Boiler-Burner unit
burner is a Carlin 100 crd

It has been serviced within the last year.
I can either hit the reset on the 8182d or the power switch off and on to make it fire up again.
Hope that helps,thanks for your time.

Old 12-12-09, 11:03 AM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
There's no reason that I can think of that the power on/off would reset the control... unless the cause is not the burner tripping... and maybe there's some bad solder, dirty contacts, in the 8182...

so let me ask you this:

When the burner does not fire up again,

Does it come on, and 'act' like it's going to light, and then shut off again, and the reset button pops up?

Or, does it do NOTHING at all ?

Next time it happens, instead of pushing the reset button, try tapping the cover of the control firmly with your finger... and see what happens. I'm thinking maybe the reset button isn't popping up at all, and it's just the act of 'jiggling' the control that gets it going again.

Old 12-12-09, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
8182d

Sounds to me like either a bad burner relay or bad solder joint related to the burner relay. In either case you need to replace the control. Instead of using another 8182, I'd suggest an
R7224 & a separate primary such as an R7184A.

Old 12-13-09, 03:58 PM
J
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper
There's no reason that I can think of that the power on/off would reset the control... unless the cause is not the burner tripping... and maybe there's some bad solder, dirty contacts, in the 8182...

so let me ask you this:

When the burner does not fire up again,

Does it come on, and 'act' like it's going to light, and then shut off again, and the reset button pops up?

Or, does it do NOTHING at all ?

Next time it happens, instead of pushing the reset button, try tapping the cover of the control firmly with your finger... and see what happens. I'm thinking maybe the reset button isn't popping up at all, and it's just the act of 'jiggling' the control that gets it going again.
No,it doesnt act like it is going to light.It doesn't do anything.
I tried tapping it,but nothing.
I'm going to check the solder joints but I think Grady is right and it's a bad relay.Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: