boiler not automatically burning

Old 12-14-09, 08:49 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler not automatically burning

hi,

my boiler will only burn once after it start up, and then even when the boiler temperature fell from 200 deg f to 80 deg f, it won't start burning again. To get my boiler to start burning again, I either had to shut down the boiler and turn it on again, or I had to push the reset button on the honeywell l4006e controller. I am suspecting the honeywell controller is broken. but before buying and change one of the controller, could there be other reason this kind of failure?

Thanks for help

Old 12-14-09, 02:45 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
...I either had to shut down the boiler and turn it on again, or I had to push the reset button on the honeywell l4006e controller.
This makes no sense. If the L4006E trips (because of high temperature) "shutting down the boiler" (whatever you mean by this phrase) would NOT reset the L4006. ONLY pressing the reset on the L4006 will reset the control if it has tripped because of high temperature.

Perhaps you should give us ALL the details. What do you mean by "shutting down the boiler" and what other controls (and their settings) are on this boiler?

Old 12-14-09, 03:04 PM
D
re:

"shutting down the boiler" - this means when the boiler went to 80, 90 deg, "I turn off the boiler, and then turn it on again", (sorry, I should say I restart the boiler) then the boiler would start burning again. But then it stop after the temperature reach around 200, which is normal. What's abnormal is that it won't start burning when the temperature fell. The only way to get it burning again is to restart the boiler, or to press the red manual reset button on the L4006e honeywell controller.

Old 12-14-09, 03:32 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
It sounds like the 4006E is an AUXILIARY HIGH LIMIT control, in ADDITION to a regular temperature control on the boiler.

But furd is right, if the 4006E is tripping on high limit, I don't think "restarting the boiler" would reset it.

I'm still unclear what you mean by that though... tell us exactly what actions you take to "restart the boiler". Do you mean turn the power switch on and off? turn the thermostat down and up? what?

I don't consider 200 to be 'normal' either... that's actually quite a high temperature for a hot water system.

What model is the boiler?
What fuel are you burning?

Old 12-14-09, 03:33 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I'm sorry to be so blunt but you are not making any sense. The L4006E is a high temperature SAFETY limit with a manual reset. It should ONLY trip when the boiler exceeds a safe temperature. If the L4006E is tripping (evidenced by the need to reset it) then either the setpoint of the L4006 is too low OR the operating control of the boiler is malfunctioning or is set too high.

IF the L4006 trips then NOTHING will allow the boiler to restart UNTIL the L4006 has been reset. If the L4006 has tripped you can play with the other controls all day long and the boiler will NOT restart.

Now let's start at the beginning. What is this boiler used for? What kind of fuel does it burn? What is the hot water it generates used for? Are you manually turning on a switch when you "start the boiler" and manually turning the same switch off when you "stop the boiler"? Why all of this manual starting and stopping? What kind of flame safeguard (or primary) control does this boiler have?

Sometimes pictures can help. To post pictures you need to first upload the pictures to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com or villagephotos.com. and then post the public URLs for the pictures (or album) here. More pictures are always better than fewer. Please have CLEAR pictures and have both close up pictures and ones from a far enough distance that we can see how the various parts are interconnected.

Old 12-14-09, 03:44 PM
M
I have a L4006H as a hi-hi limit aquastat (strap-on). Its purpose is to be an emergency backup if all else fails, and there is a runaway burner. As mentioned, once it trips, it locks out - you have to manually press a little red button to reset the 4006.

I can see having the setpoint for the 4006 at 200 deg. But, if it's hitting that, there must be something seriously wrong with your usual temp control - which should be set lower than 200 deg. Lucky that you had that hi-hi limit with a manual reset!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: