Circulator running fine, boiler only coming on for 30 seconds, then stop

Old 12-16-09, 09:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circulator running fine, boiler only coming on for 30 seconds, then stop

Hi all, I'm no expert by any means on these things, but I moved into my current place in Sept and am having some heat issues. I have baseboard hot water heat powered by a gas boiler. Before the weather got cold I installed a Honeywell 5+2 digital programmable thermostat in place of a manual rotary Honeywell thermostat, to hopefully save some money on heat this winter. However, after noticing that it takes hours if not days to come up to the set temperature (and last weekend when it was especially cold the heat was unable to reach temperature and actually was sliding backwards even colder) I started to look for the problem. From what I can tell, when the thermostat kicks in, the circulator pump goes on and stays on, the furnace will kick on with a whoosh but only stays on for around 30 seconds before going off for several minutes. The electrical wiring for the thermostat was just two wires, and I followed the instruction manual exactly. I tried switching the two wires in their respective slots today, but that didn't change anything. I've gotten a recommendation to put the old thermostat back on, but I fail to see how it would act any differently in this simple electrical loop. Should I try just twisting the two wires together and see if that keeps the furnace going? I don't know too much about heating systems, but I've been doing a lot of reading of the past couple weeks, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-16-09, 09:52 AM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
I doubt that the thermostat or the wiring are the culprit.

Yes, if it's just two wires, you can simply connect them together to test your theory... but I can say with reasonable certainty that you will have the same problem.

What make/model boiler do you have?

There are usually a number of safety controls on boilers that may prevent, or interrupt the boiler firing.

Once we knowt he machine you are working with, we may be able to offer some tips...

Old 12-16-09, 12:42 PM
S
Thanks NJ Trooper, but that's where I start to get in over my head. Essentially I rent the apartment, and the landlord has been coming up with a million excuses so she does not have to call a service technician, but I think that's where she has to go from here. She's tried blaming the thermostat and where we have our furniture, but that doesn't explain why the pipes are lukewarm and the furnace only goes for 30 seconds at a time. I did simply take off the thermostat and wire the two wires together and it does exactly the same thing - fires for 30 seconds then stops, all while the circulator keeps going. I won't mess with anything involved in the furnace, and I already overstepped my bounds by putting in the thermostat (although I could switch it back out in 10 minutes if that was REALLY the problem, but it's not). I'm going to get in touch with her now so she can get this fixed. For those curious all I can get from the furnace is that it's a "HydroTherm" and it looks fairly old.

Old 12-16-09, 02:18 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Your landlord is legally obligated to provide heat. Your town probably has an office that deals with these issues. If you can't get satisfaction, kick it up a notch.

Old 12-16-09, 04:41 PM
D
If she doesn't respond in the near future, I recommend sending a certified letter to her. Be sure to document everything. Go search the internet for the rental laws in MA to learn about what you can do. I know in NJ if they don't fix things in a reasonable amount of time, you can bring someone in and withhold the cost of the technician from your rent. Be sure you document everything when you do this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: