B&G series 100 motor hot no heat

Old 12-17-09, 07:58 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
B&G series 100 motor hot no heat

I have a three zone gas hw system with 3 bg series 100 pumps. The top floor zone is not heating and the pump for that zone is running hotter that the others. What does this signal? I am thinking I might need to replace the pump and am wondering if I should go for the maintainace free nrf pumps, if so which one?

Just a simple diy'er

Old 12-17-09, 08:57 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
The first thing to ask when the problem is that the 'top zone' is not heating is "What is the reading on the pressure gauge on the boiler? At what temperature?" both readings please.

Your system may be running slightly low on pressure and not able to raise the hot water to the top level. It may have nothing at all to do with the pump.

Old 12-17-09, 09:04 PM
P
temp is at about 185 and pressure 20

Old 12-18-09, 08:09 AM
M
How many storeys do you have?

Is the pump turning? You can look at the coupling between the motor and pump and see if it's rotating.

Old 12-18-09, 11:50 AM
P
3 stories, basement, middle floor and top floor. Top floor is the problem. Coupler is rotating. The feed pipe is hot but the return pipe is cold. Could it be an air bubble?

Old 12-18-09, 11:55 AM
M
Originally Posted by pvava View Post
Could it be an air bubble?
Yes, it could. ###################

Old 12-18-09, 02:05 PM
P
Can you direct me to a good place describing how to get rid of an air bubble in a multi-zone system. Much appreciated.

Old 12-18-09, 02:43 PM
M
Try this: Guide to Air Bleeder Valves on Heating Systems: Heating System Radiator, Baseboard, or Convector Air Bleeder Valve Troubleshooting & Repair Guide

What type of expansion tank do you have - conventional steel tank or bladder type (looks like R2D2)? If the latter, what type of air removal device(s) are installed?

Assuming that your one loop is air locked, how did air get into the system? Was it recently depressurized and drained? Did this problem just start?

A pump that is running without flow going through it will get hot.

Can you link us to photos of your system? Post them on a freebie hosting site, and paste links here.

Old 12-18-09, 03:46 PM
P
Thanks for your help Mike. The problem is recent, however we haven't really had any bad cold stretches and I don't pump the heat so maybe it has been a problem from the beginning of the season. The circulator does get hotter than the others which can mean as you suggest that there is no water circulating through it. As far as the expanson tank, it is a sparco but I do not know if it is a bladder type or not. I have posted some pics at

Pictures by pvava - Photobucket

Old 12-18-09, 04:04 PM
M
Originally Posted by pvava View Post
we haven't really had any bad cold stretches and I don't pump the heat so maybe it has been a problem from the beginning of the season.
Please explain what you mean by, "I don't pump the heat."

Your expansion tank is a bladder type. The air eliminator valve is partally obscured in your photos, but it is mounted on top of the boiler. If it has a cap, make sure it is loose.

Old 12-18-09, 04:13 PM
P
by pumping the heat I mean I don't keep the thermostats at high temps, just 67 during the day and 64 at night.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: