Squeaking rattling noisy Economite E20 burner

Old 12-18-09, 08:30 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squeaking rattling noisy Economite E20 burner

Darn! Double-darn! We have an Economite E20 gas conversion burner, been working noisy but it just started squeaking and rattling. Doesn't happen right away, but usually after the burner has been on a couple of minutes.

It still works but I have a feeling it's just a matter of time . . .

Thing is, this isn't the greatest time for any expensive repairs. Yeah, I'd change the whole boiler/furnace set-up if we could afford it (looks like an original Weil-Mclain boiler, back when the house had oil not gas), but if there's a belt or something to replace on the Economite, to see us through this winter, that would be much better.

I've looked at the diagrams on the manual, but I can't figure out what's causing the squealing/squeaking ratting, and whether I've got 4 weeks or 4 hours left on the thing. It seems when I put a little pressure on the unit, from the front, the noise quiets down, but I don't want to make things worse.

If not, any good recommendations on either a new motor or a whole new burner? Someone in the NW of Boston area (Chelmsford, Littleton, Hudson) who's reasonable? Any help much appreciated!!

Old 12-19-09, 02:17 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Gas conversion burners are pretty simple, usually the only moving part is the fan motor. Yours probably has dry bearings and if there are oil holes you should try adding some lightweight non-detergent oil. 3-in-One brand is a good choice. Unfortunately, if you have not been oiling the motor it may now be too late but it won't hurt to try.

If the motor does not have any oil holes then a replacement motor is needed. You might try your gas utility for service, many conversion burners were installed by the gas utility and many were/are on a lease program.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: