Motor bad - leave zone in Manual Open?

Old 12-19-09, 12:59 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motor bad - leave zone in Manual Open?

What happens if I leave one zone out of 5 in Manual Open for a week?

I have 5 zones on my hot water baseboard heating system.

The main zone for the kitchen/living room/dining room stopped heating. The Honeywell 802360JA valve motor failed on a Honeywell V8043 valve. When I took the motor off and connected to 28VAC it didn't turn. I replaced the motor with one I found in the furnace closet (from the previous owner). The motor turned when connected to 28VAC, but now it stopped working. It may have been bad. Or could something in the valve have caused it to fail in 12 hours?

I'm leaving town Monday for 5 days and it gets down to 15 degrees F at night. I don't know if I can get a replacement motor before I leave.

With the valve in Manual Open, the End Switch won't be actuated. So does that mean the thermostat for that zone/valve is effectively not doing anything? Will this zone with the bad motor now just get heat when the thermostat on one of the other four zones calls for heat?

That would seem to be OK. I can leave the bedroom doors open to two of the other zones. Those bedrooms won't adequately heat the main zone, but as they cool down, their thermostats will call for heat, and when the pump kicks on the hot water will also go to the Manual Open zone.

Is that how this works?

One question on these valve motors: does the motor just stall when it opens the valve, or does the End Switch somehow turn the motor off?? Could a bad End Switch affect the motor?

I'm an Electrical Engineer but I know very little about the control system for my boiler. Thanks.

Old 12-19-09, 02:11 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Leave the zone valve in the manual open position and it will get heat when any of the other zones call for heat.

Some zone motors do have end switches that stop them in either the open or closed positions but these will have a three-wire control. Two-wire zone valves just stall the motor. Some zone valves use a small heater that opens the valve when the heater is energized.

Old 12-19-09, 07:12 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Furd.

I left the valve in manual open and it was 70F this morning. So with the other four zones kicking on and off, that zone got plenty of hot water last night.

My wife wants me to take our kids skiing today, so she will drive to a plumbing supply store in Santa Fe to buy a replacement zone valve motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: