How to get ice out of one of your baseboard hot water zones ???

Old 12-19-09, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Well McClain Propane Boiler for my baseboard hot water heat and I have 4 different zones in my house. One of the zones which is above the 'unheated' 2-car garage is not working. I can feel at the inlet and outlet by the boiler that hot water is not circulating through this zone only. The other 3 zones are working fine. I have had this particular zone freeze up on me before and this past week I left my heat only at 55 degrees and I was gone for a few days and we had some very cold single digit nights with high winds.

I have all PEX plastic piping for my baseboard hotwater zones... right now I am trying to heat the garage up as hot as possible in hopes that the rising heat will thaw out the pipes in the garage ceiling. Is there anything else I can do to try to increase the pressure maybe in that particular zone in hopes to 'push' whatever the blockage is out... which I strongly believe is ice somewhere in the piping.

right now it's 10 degrees outside, 20mph winds hitting my house and snowing a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-09, 06:22 PM
I would try putting an electric heater in the room with the frozen pipes.

Old 12-19-09, 06:24 PM

I have a Well McClain Propane Boiler for my baseboard hot water heat and I have 4 different zones in my house. One of the zones which is above the 'unheated' 2-car garage is not working. I can feel at the inlet and outlet by the boiler that hot water is not circulating through this zone only. The other 3 zones are working fine. I have had this particular zone freeze up on me before and this past week I left my heat only at 55 degrees and I was gone for a few days and we had some very cold single digit nights with high winds.

I have all PEX plastic piping for my baseboard hotwater zones... right now I am trying to heat the garage up as hot as possible in hopes that the rising heat will thaw out the pipes in the garage ceiling. Is there anything else I can do to try to increase the pressure maybe in that particular zone in hopes to 'push' whatever the blockage is out... which I strongly believe is ice somewhere in the piping.

right now it's 10 degrees outside, 20mph winds hitting my house and snowing a lot!

Old 12-19-09, 06:51 PM
I would try putting a portable electric heater in the room with the frozen pipes.

Old 12-19-09, 08:19 PM
I have portable electric heaters in all room upstairs where the zone isn't working... and in the garage downstairs I have a propane burner running... the garage is now 105 degrees and still the pipes aren't moving water... I'm starting to wonder if they are even frozen or if something else is wrong.

Old 12-20-09, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Ice

After you get your ice melted and the system going , you should consider puting in 4 or 5 gallons of Cryotec or a similar
non toxic antifreeze product in your heating system, before one of your baseboard pipes burst, as they are paper thin.
I have antifreeze in my system as we are away for a spell during the winter, and turn down the heat also, so if we have a power outage etc at least I wont loose my heating system. also I can remotely check the temperature.
Sid

Old 12-20-09, 01:26 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
and in the garage downstairs I have a propane burner running.
Please tell me that this is a VENTED heater and that you aren't venting the combustion products into the home...

Please also tell me that you have lots of Carbon Monoxide detectors in the home and that they all have fresh batteries.

Old 12-20-09, 02:04 PM
Sometimes air in the line will stop the water flow.. Did you try bleeding out at the baseboard?

Old 12-20-09, 04:28 PM
Frozen pipes can take quite a while to thaw - based on my experiece with domestic water pipes, not hotwater heating pipes.

I would stay in the house until everything thaws out (if, indeed, it's ice causing the problem). Your Pex or fin-tube baseboards may be split open like a hot-dog bun.