Steam radiators

Old 12-20-09, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Steam radiators

I purchased a home back in June 2009. The home has one pipe steam heat, which I have never had in my homes prior to this one. I have a neighbor who is a master plumber and he has done some work recently to the system to keep it from banging and such. I had to replace the air vents because the ones on there were from 1965. Needless to say they needed to be replaced. Anyway, he has done so much for me, but I like to do my research before I ask him to do any more work.

Every radiator in the house is quiet... except for one... the one in the Master bedroom. This, you could imagine causes quiet a situation. After the boiler has been running for a half our or so, we hear a rattle in this radiator only. it sounds like it is coming from the area around the shutoff valve on the floor. It sounds like a quarter is rattling around in the radiator. I have check the pitch and it is perfect, there are no leaks and airvent is brand new. This is the only radiator in the house that makes noise, and it is getting annoying.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 06:29 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is the hand valve all the way open? What is the steam pressure set at?

Old 12-20-09, 06:44 AM
Non-specific suggestion, but check out Dan Holohan's great books on steam, "We Got Steam Heat" and "Lost Art of Steam Heating". Great guides to your steam system.

Old 12-28-09, 07:24 PM
It is possible that the washer has come free of the valve shaft. It will lay over the hole in the valve and the only drain will be through the screw hole. It will eventually waterlog and make noise. It may also cause your boiler to overfeed by holding water out. If you can take the valve apart and the washer is loose, just pick it out with a piece of wire and toss it. Always keep the valve full open as stated earlier.

Ken

Old 12-29-09, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Check to see if the Rad is pitched slightly toward the rattling valve, if not raise the other end enough to make it so.
Sid