Circulator question - Replace or Not

Old 12-21-09, 10:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circulator question - Replace or Not

HI,
In my Oil fired hot water 2 zone system that has 2 Taco 007-F4 circulators, I have had issues with 1 of the pumps.
Last year I put in a pellet stove and went from 900 gallons to 350 gallons used in the year. One time last winter, I lost heat in 1 zone. I tapped the windings of the pump with a hammer and it kicked back in.
5 weeks ago, the same thing happened and I got it back by tapping the windings.
2 weeks ago, I lost both zones and domestic hot water. I reset the burner. I then had to tap the windings again for that 1 pump.
I assume it was that one pump (17 years old) that shut off the burner. Is there a way to tell for sure or is tapping the windings a good enough reason?
Should I replace the 1 circulator for preventive reasons?
If yes, do I need to replace the flanges as well.
Also, Home Depot sells Taco 007-F5. Do they still make the F4 or can I use the F5 with the F4's flanges?

Old 12-21-09, 02:38 PM
M
I believe the 007-F5 comes in two versions: with and without an integral check valve. With two zones and two pumps, you probably want the version with the check valve unless there are separate checks in the lines.

I can't explain why rapping on the pump would bring it to life. Except for the rotor, there are no moving parts in the pump. Check to see if there is a loose or intermittent electrical connection inside the terminal box mounted on the pump.

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 12-21-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 05:19 AM
B
I re-tightened 2 wire nuts. It looked like one nut was not twisted so hopefully that was it.
The other 2 conections were crimped with a connector and seemed tight.
Thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: