Oil boiler fuel nozzle question?

Old 12-22-09, 04:35 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil boiler fuel nozzle question?

So, I have my brand new Burnham MPO installed just under 3 months.
I am currently out of town and my wife calls a few days ago and the boiler is off and the green light on the control is blinking. I have to call a boiler guy and he comes in and has to clean out the whole thing (he says it is packed full of soot) and then he replaces the nozzle since he says the one in it was "bad" (he didn't elaborate on this).
I am just wondering why this would happen. It was tested at install and running at 89% efficiency. The stack pipe is all correct size.
Any ideas as to how a new boiler would have this issue?
A manufacturer error?
Thanks for any input.

Old 12-22-09, 05:08 PM
S
boiler

what were the readings at initial start-up? was it started by an authorized factory rep? did they use a combustion analyzer?
how is the quality of the oil up there? is there adequate air incoming for the combustion air on the boiler?

Old 12-22-09, 05:26 PM
A
Boiler nozzle

Well it was started by an HVAC guy here in town.
I am not sure of initial readings other than the efficiency was at 89%. He did use a combustion analyzer.
The oil is no. 2 fuel oil. Never had a problem before and I am going through the same company.
Air is the concern I guess. That's what this repair person thought. The boiler is in the garage where the old one was but I thought there would be enough air coming in just around the cracks under the garage doors etc.. The repair guy said I need to add some kind of vent to allow for more.
This never seemed to be an issue with my 25 year old Weil mcclain.

Originally Posted by seabee570 View Post
what were the readings at initial start-up? was it started by an authorized factory rep? did they use a combustion analyzer?
how is the quality of the oil up there? is there adequate air incoming for the combustion air on the boiler?

Old 12-22-09, 05:59 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Could be a few reasons...

Nozzles do 'foul' from time to time for no apparent reason.

89% efficiency seems a bit 'unrealistic' ... maybe the initial tuneup wasn't all it could be.

As weather gets colder, so does the fuel oil if it's in an outdoor tank. Cold oil can play hell with a burner and cause it to run badly and soot.

Who did the intitial tune up? Same guy that came this time?

Where is your tank located?

[didn't see previous posts... some parts may be redundant!]

Old 12-22-09, 08:14 PM
Received 40 Votes on 34 Posts
89% is a little high for the MPO. Another issue could be draft. There is a brass plug on the back of the boiler and the draft there should be "0". The CO2 should be 11.5 to 12.5%.
As Trooper stated cold air and cold oil can change the adjustments. Was the burned head checked for proper adjustment.
Can't blame the manufacturer when all burner adjustments are the responsibility of the installing contractor. That's why the adjustment spec's are supplied in the manual. If the manufacturer did a perfect adjustment it still would not be right at your house. Draft would be one of my first guesses. When flame retention burners normally see more than -0.04" w.c. draft the flame starts bouncing off the head creating soot. The MPO is what we call a pressure fired boiler so the draft should never exceed -0.03" w.c. I would try to get the test results. If they are good as said before the nozzle could have fouled. Is there good oil filtration? Is the tank in the garage?

Old 12-24-09, 10:38 AM
A
Boiler nozzle

Thanks for all the input.
I guess to make myself feel better I am going to have another company do a combustion analysis on the boiler. The guy I used had all the right equipment to do it but I am not sure he knew what the proper ranges should be for the boiler.
I do not have the little printout with all the specs on it so I am not sure it was within the values you have stated.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by rbeck View Post
89% is a little high for the MPO. Another issue could be draft. There is a brass plug on the back of the boiler and the draft there should be "0". The CO2 should be 11.5 to 12.5%.
As Trooper stated cold air and cold oil can change the adjustments. Was the burned head checked for proper adjustment.
Can't blame the manufacturer when all burner adjustments are the responsibility of the installing contractor. That's why the adjustment spec's are supplied in the manual. If the manufacturer did a perfect adjustment it still would not be right at your house. Draft would be one of my first guesses. When flame retention burners normally see more than -0.04" w.c. draft the flame starts bouncing off the head creating soot. The MPO is what we call a pressure fired boiler so the draft should never exceed -0.03" w.c. I would try to get the test results. If they are good as said before the nozzle could have fouled. Is there good oil filtration? Is the tank in the garage?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: