boiler has low PSI (6) and rad not getting hot

Old 12-28-09, 10:07 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler has low PSI (6) and rad not getting hot

I have a new Weil-McLain gas boiler installed last year. For the most part, my radiators get hot. I do have one that just wont stay hot. I tried to bleed the line but only water comes out. I let water drain out for a few min and it got warm, but it cooled shortly after closing the valve. I checked the boiler unit and it says that it is operating at 90 and 6 psi. It is cold here in Canada and I would love to get this radiator working. Could it be a pressure issue, or would it be a problem with the rad?
I am new to these systems, this is my first winter with one so I am still learning. Any advice would be so helpful.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-09, 11:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts

Is that 90 C or F? Six psi is low, you need to get it up to around 12 psi for a single story house. Check the piping between the boiler, water feeder (pressure reducing valve) & the house piping. If you find valve(s) closed, open said
valve(s) & allow water to feed until you get to 12# then close it (them).

Old 12-29-09, 08:55 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ok, I now have a PSI of 12 and the temperature is around 130. This one rad just wont get hot or even warm. It is on the second floor. There are two radiators in this one particular room, both running off of the same line connected with a "T". One is hot and the other is cold. I have tried bleeding the line again, but there doesnt seem to be air in it. When i drain water out of it, the in and out lines get hot, but always get cold again right away. Is it almost time to call in a pro?

Old 12-30-09, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
12 psi

Are you bleeding the radiator itself? When trying to bleed air one sometimes has to increase the pressure to get the air pocket to move. I've had to go as high as 25#. Also, as you bleed water, the pressure will drop.

Old 12-30-09, 06:38 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Also, those piddly liddle bleeders don't let enough flow through to move the air along... a while back, one poster came up with a scheme he called a 'super bleeder'. It involved replacing the liddle piddler with a larger valve and a hose you could stick in a bucket. Neat idea... even neater was that his was in the bathroom... and guess what he used as his 'bucket'?

Are you up for some wrench twisting if the 25 PSI don't work?

Try using the search function and plug in 'super bleeder' to see if you can find that thread... with pictures!