1st floor warm, 2nd floor cold - hot water boiler showing 0 psi

Old 12-29-09, 12:10 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1st floor warm, 2nd floor cold - hot water boiler showing 0 psi

There is apparently something wrong with my boiler. The first floor of my home is warm but the second floor is significantly cooler. When I looked at the pressure guage - it is at 0 psi. I need help troubleshooting this problem and I am hoping that someone has some advice that won't involve calling a professional as money is tight right now! HELP!

Old 12-29-09, 12:20 PM
O
If the pressure gauge is to be believed, the troubleshooting is easy. Needs more water.

A 2 story house typically requires 12 psi of pressure on a COLD boiler.

If you are not sure of how to add water then some pictures will be required. Use an account at a site such as PhotoBucket and get some clear shots that show the plumbing at the boiler.

Note: I am assuming that this is a hot water system, not steam?

Al.

Old 12-29-09, 12:27 PM
K
It is a hot water boiler. The baseboards upstairs feel warm but they don't seem to be radiating heat like normal - that is why I checked the psi. Is it normal to need to add water to a boiler?

Old 12-29-09, 04:34 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Is it normal to need to add water to a boiler?
Maybe not normal, but certainly not ABnormal either.

In any case though, you would need to post some pictures so we can see your system and tell you which valves to turn, etc...

FREE account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket, upload pics there, place a link to your picture album here for us to view.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: