Direction of Flow for my Circulator Pump

Old 12-27-09, 06:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Circulator Pump Question

I have a taco circulator pump for my basement baseboard heat. My pump just broke, but this would be my 5-6 time I would replace this pump and varied between taco pumps and the little red pump. My question would be is there a better pump I could get that would last longer then these pumps. This time my pump makes an extra loud noise. I figure that the water going through the pump is dirty and was curious besides constantly draining water to clean is there anything i could do to make it better.
Thank you Chris

Old 12-27-09, 06:09 PM
Received 16 Upvotes on 15 Posts
Is this base board zone in your basement off of a steam boiler??

Old 12-27-09, 06:16 PM
Yes, I believe so. How does this effect the pump and if it does what can I do to correct it

Old 12-27-09, 09:08 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The reason yer eating pumps is because on a steamer, there is tons of dissolved oxygen in the water. This O2 is attacking the cast iron pumps... rusting them out. Running a baseboard loop off a steam system requires that all components be non-ferrous. So... this means using a bronze pump. Or get used to changing the iron ones.

Old 12-28-09, 05:34 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
The best pump is a bronze or SS 3-piece pump. $$$$$$$$ But it would be once and done. The idea for the 3 piece is keeps much more heat away from the motor for longer life and a field replaceable bearing assembly (impeller section).
The Cast iron wet rotor pumps were not designed for this application. Hmmmm....5 - 6 pumps you've almost paid for a bronze 3-piece but haven't gotten it yet.

Old 12-28-09, 05:18 PM
Thanks for your help. Can you give some types of pumps (name brands and models) so I can purchase it. Again thanks for your help.

Old 12-28-09, 05:39 PM
M
Originally Posted by piper75
Thanks for your help. Can you give some types of pumps (name brands and models) so I can purchase it.
Most popular pumps are available in bronze or SS. Look for the model that has performed OK, except for the corrosion.

Old 12-28-09, 06:34 PM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Here is a link to the B&G Bronze 3 piece pump from Pex Supply
Bell & Gossett 106197 - Bell & Gossett - 1/12 HP, Series 100 Bronze BNFI Circulator Pump

Old 12-29-09, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Good Price

That's a darn good price for that pump especially with the free shipping. The next cheaper one I found was $100 more + shipping.

Old 12-31-09, 08:59 PM
Thanks for your help, One more question my broken taco pump has the arrow pointing up and the pipe above pump the pipes are warm but the pipes below is cold to touch. (my pump isnt on) Is the arrow pointing in the correct way? Should the pump be in the opposite direction? thanks again

Old 01-01-10, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pump Direction

To better advise you on the pumping direction, we would need pictures of the set up. You can post them (free) on photobucket.com or similar site & provide a link here.

Old 01-01-10, 09:51 AM
Here are my pics, let me know if you have any questions.
Also can anyone tell me how to drain/clean the water for the pump to prevent corrosion. There are 2 blue valves on each side and a drain right next to pump and 1 further away you can see it in photo's

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMG_0424.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMG_0425.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMG_0429.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...5/IMG_0430.jpg

Old 01-01-10, 12:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pump, etc.

Here's a "how to" from Bell & Gossett: http://www.bellgossett.com/Press/BG-waterzone.asp
I didn't see any flow control devices in your pics.

One thing which did jump out at me was the circulator wiring. If the flexible conduit isn't long enough to reach the circ, you need to mount a junction box on the wall, make a splice, & run a piece of flexible conduit to the pump.

Old 01-01-10, 01:47 PM
The arrow is pointing towards the ceiling the pipe below the pipe goes to the baseboard heating in basement then comes back to boiler. The pipe above pump goes to boiler.

Old 01-01-10, 01:57 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The suction side of your pump is currently connected to the pipe coming from the floor. While the current thinking has the pump located on the boiler outlet pumping TO the heaters the way your pump is installed is the way that tens of thousands of systems are installed. Sometimes it does make a difference but usually not.

Old 01-01-10, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by furd
The suction side of your pump is currently connected to the pipe coming from the floor. While the current thinking has the pump located on the boiler outlet pumping TO the heaters the way your pump is installed is the way that tens of thousands of systems are installed. Sometimes it does make a difference but usually not.
Is that the correct way? thanks

Old 01-01-10, 02:32 PM
F
Well, I gotta say that I'm confused. You state that you believe you have a steam boiler but the pictures don't show enough for me to tell just what kind of a system you have. Maybe if you post some more pictures, this time from further back so I can see the entire boiler and also see just where the various pipes are connected I can give you a better answer.

If indeed you do have a steam boiler with a hot-water loop for the basement heat you will NEED to have an all-bronze (or stainless steel) pump and it would be best to have the three-piece pump as the others have advised. It is also best to always pump FROM the boiler TO the heaters and this is especially true if you are using a hot-water loop on a steam boiler.

The way that current pump is installed you are pumping FROM the heater TO the boiler and that is definitely wrong with a steam boiler.

Old 01-03-10, 11:10 AM
Direction of Flow for my Circulator Pump

I have a steam boiler and a taco circulator pump for my baseboard heater in basement. I previously posted about my broken pump and it was determined that I need a bronze pump. The arrow on my pump faces up towards the ceiling. My question is when I replace the pump if the arrow should be facing up or down. I enclosed some photo's that are labeled where each pipe goes.

Piper75 pic album

Last edited by NJT; 01-03-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-03-10, 11:21 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your links are not working.

Last edited by NJT; 01-03-10 at 11:49 AM. Reason: should be OK now
Old 01-03-10, 12:05 PM
NJT
Piper, see post #17 by furd, above... is that not clear?

In case you want to know WHY... since you may be pumping water in some cases that is ABOVE boiling, you want to take all measures that will insure that you never reduce the pressure in the water heating zone. If you do, you can have the hot water flashing into steam... not good. Pump TOWARD the heating zone and the pressure will always be increased when the pump runs. Also, see explanation of the bypass, below...

Read the paper from B&G that Grady posted, and note his comments about the wiring...

One thing about that paper... it specifically addresses a heating zone ABOVE the level of the the water in the boiler. The check valves are an important part of that setup. Being that your basement zone is all probably BELOW the water level, you may not need those check valves, but I would HIGHLY recommend that you install a bypass.

The bypass line will 'blend' cooler water from the heating zone return with the HOT water from the boiler. This will tend to keep the heating zone water at a cooler temperature, and minimize the chance of any steam flashing in the piping.

By the way, I merged your new thread with your old... there's no reason to start a new thread.

Old 01-03-10, 12:11 PM
NJT
can anyone tell me how to drain/clean the water for the pump to prevent corrosion
That's not what is causing the corrosion...

It's the OXYGEN in the water that is inherent to steam boiler systems. Draining/cleaning the water will not prevent the pump from self destructing. You need a non-ferrous pump, and using the 3 piece pump that's recommended will also help by keeping the heat away from the motor.

Old 01-03-10, 03:41 PM
F
Install the pump so that it pumps FROM the boiler TO the heaters. You may need to re-pipe the system depending on how the heaters are connected and if they have any vents.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: