Upgrading Honeywell Control

Old 01-13-10, 12:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading Honeywell Control

I was reading through many posts concerning the upgrade of the Honeywell R4184D control to an R8184G control.
After looking at many posts & responses, I did not see an answer to one question I have.
Currently I have the R4184D control in operation on my boiler which is working fine but like all things man made it will surely fail one day. Replacing it with the R8184G doesn't seem to be a big issue except; The R4184D had only terminals for the flame sensor, 2 terminals. The R8184G has terminals for flame sensor and Thermostat (T-T). My question is, what to do with the not needed T-T terminals. Instillation instructions are unclear as to whether these terminals are ignored or jumped out. Hopefully one of you smarter than me guys will know the answer so when that day comes, I'll make the upgrade with little or no frustration. Any and all feedback is welcome. Thanks

Last edited by Chiefeng; 01-13-10 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 02:30 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Smarter, I dunno! YOU are the Chief Engineer!

T T terminals would be jumpered.

You can also step one more rung up the 'new' ladder and go to a R7184A. (not the U, must be the A unless you want to make some minor wiring changes and add an oil solenoid...)

Old 01-13-10, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Control upgrade

I'd skip the 8184G & go for a 7184A. As for the thermostat terminals, just jump them like Trooper said.

Old 01-13-10, 06:18 PM
I'd skip Honeywell altogether and install the Beckett Genisys. Get the display and throw out the TV.

Ken

Old 01-14-10, 04:00 AM
Thanks Guys, Jumping the T-T terminals out is what I thought but just wasn't quite sure. Makes sense, need a complete circuit. Many thanks again, have a great day.

Old 01-14-10, 05:49 AM
Thumbs up GeniSys

I'm with KField on the GeniSys with clip on dislpay. At the very least, the shorter 15 second lockout time and the interrupted ignition are a definite plus.

If you upgrade to a pump with a delay valve and do some minor wiring changes then you can take full advantage of its features and use a bit of pre and post purge time to keep things nice and clean.

I'd get a 7505P-1515 with display. You can use the display to adjust the features as needed for whatever application.