Peerless STEAM boiler cycles every 2 minutes

Old 01-13-10, 07:25 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Peerless STEAM boiler cycles every 2 minutes

I have a Peerless JOT steam boiler that cycles on for 2 minutes and then off for 2 minutes. It does this constantly (hours) as the house never really gets up to temperature. 3 radiators get hot but 2 others are only getting warm. The water level is good when the boiler is off. The low water switch seems to be working as it should. The water level in the sight glass starts off good when the boiler has not run in a while and then slowly drops to almost the bottom of the sight glass. When the boiler turns off, the water level rises
about an inch in the sight glass and the boiler starts up again.
I drained the tank and re-filled it but this had no effect.
Any ideas ?

Last edited by NJT; 01-14-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 04:53 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Steam Boiler

I'm not a steam head, so don't really have any advice, but posting to bump the thread up to the top... maybe someone will notice and have some advice for ya!

Old 01-14-10, 06:39 PM
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Sounds like the boiler is surging. The water level bounces up and down the gage when the boiler is making steam. Skimming must be done on every steam boiler.
More info on skimming. See menu.
Technical Menu

Old 01-14-10, 07:59 PM
R
New here so bear with me. Peerless is by nature a "dirty" boiler. Try this. Buy a can of SQUICK, turn off the boiler let the boiler cool COMPLETELY,about 1-2 hours, so cool that you can safely put your hand on the boiler without feeling heat. Then remove the pressure relief valve, and add the can of SQUICK powder into the opening. Replace the pressure relief valve, preferably with a new one, and fill the boiler to the highest level in the sight glass. ( make sure the sight glass handles are open all the way to get an accurate reading.) then go to the boiler drain at the lowest part of the boiler, and remove water until the sight glass is showing water at about an inch and a half from the top. Close the boiler drain, and fire up the boiler. As the boiler heats up the water, it should turn lime green. This is a good thing.See if this helps. If not, the pig tail pipe under the pressuretrol may be starting to plug, and reaking havoc with the pressuretrol. Best of Luck.

Old 01-14-10, 08:06 PM
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
Squick is an emulsifier and will grab the oil and take it to the bottom. Eventually it will let go and the oil will end up at the top again. Mainly oil floating on the water surface is what causes surging. Skimming get rid of the oil without any chemicals.

Old 01-14-10, 08:32 PM
R
rbeck, sorry for not being clear. My point was to try squick after skimming the boiler. I agree completely that every steamer needs to be skimmed, and I prefer to leave a skim pipe on the boiler as a permanent fixture on new installs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: