Its 13 degrees and the boiler won't fire. Help!

Old 01-28-10, 06:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where would that be? And if a gas valve wasn't opening, would I still have a pilot?

Old 01-28-10, 06:36 PM
J
relay

Hey trooper does that relay open the gas valve?

Old 01-28-10, 06:40 PM
J
No

Originally Posted by JulietCapulet View Post
Where would that be? And if a gas valve wasn't opening, would I still have a pilot?
I don't think you have a pilot. That ignitor starts and then the gas valve opens and voila you get flame.

Maybe you do have a gas problem??? do you have other gas appliances? are they working?

Old 01-28-10, 06:43 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Im wondering if you should go get a coupla 1500w electric heaters before the stores close..

Old 01-28-10, 06:45 PM
I definitely have a pilot. I've now got the cover off and there is no doubt that I have a pilot, and the thermocouple is right behind it. I have a spare thermocouple, so I can try replacing that if you guys decide that's what you think it is!

Old 01-28-10, 06:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
At somewhat of a disadvantage here... WM doesn't have the wiring diagrams in their on-line manuals...

Your control with the transformer and the relay is a Honeywell R8285... but I don't think that's the problem either...

The fact that you have a lit pilot, and that you say you can still hear the sparking inside is telling me that the "FLAME SENSOR" is not sensing the pilot is lit... it is waiting for that signal to come, and won't open the main valve until it does. So, it keeps trying to light a pilot that is already lit... and trying... and trying... and no joy...

What is that heavy gray wire coming down from the top with what appears to be a terminal on it that is just sorta 'hangin out' inside there... be careful around that red wire... that's yer 'spark plug' ... it could bit you...

My advice... get on the phone... I don't think we can help this time...

Old 01-28-10, 06:50 PM
I forgot to answer your other question. I don't have any other gas appliances. Just the hot water tank which is working fine!

Old 01-28-10, 06:53 PM
J
!!

Originally Posted by DaveC72 View Post
Im wondering if you should go get a coupla 1500w electric heaters before the stores close..

good idea!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Old 01-28-10, 06:54 PM
The gray wire is to the vent damper. That stopped working years ago, so they just disconnected the wire. Is the thermocouple different than the flame sensor?

Old 01-28-10, 06:58 PM
NJT
I've got some things to attend to... so I've gotta sign off for the night... wish I could stay and help ya, ... but don't think there's much more we can do...

Juliet, you say you have a 'thermocouple' ? is this one that is for your system? because if so, and it is a new one, you could try that for sure... if you are up to it...

But seriously, either do as Dave says and go get some electric heaters, or call for emergency 'no heat' to a tech... hopefully you have someone you can call!

JohnJohn, thanks for your help! good input... you too Dave!

Old 01-28-10, 07:01 PM
NJT
Is the thermocouple different than the flame sensor?
What I could see in the WM spare parts list, they were calling a 'flame sensor'... but basically the same idea... like I said, if the one that you have is what is called for your boiler, then try it. If it's a generic off the shelf one, it may or may not be what you need... I can't really tell from the resources I can get from WM.

Old 01-28-10, 07:01 PM
J
Originally Posted by NJ Trooper View Post
What is that heavy gray wire coming down from the top with what appears to be a terminal on it that is just sorta 'hangin out' inside there... be careful around that red wire... that's yer 'spark plug' ... it could bit you...

My advice... get on the phone... I don't think we can help this time...
Trooper I think that wire goes to the damper?

Old 01-28-10, 07:03 PM
The one I have is a generic. I do have the wiring diagram, but don't know if I can help you with that.

Old 01-28-10, 07:07 PM
Ok guys. Thanks so much for spending your evening trying to help me. I truly appreciate it. I just checked, and the last time it was repaired (a little over a year ago), they replaced the flame sensor. HOw about that??

Old 01-28-10, 07:09 PM
J
agree with trooper

Call for an emergency call out. Or if you can grab a couple of temp heaters and wait til the mornin you will safe some cash

I would put them low and let the heat rise if ya know what i mean.

It sounds like you got a pretty easy and relatively cheap fix there but you need the right parts obviously.

I gotta go too but good luck and please post up with what the fix was. It's always good to know for future reference.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Old 01-28-10, 07:11 PM
I've put the call in. And apparently the flame sensor is guaranteed for 2 years, so at least the part will be covered. I will let you guys know for sure. Thanks again for all your help!

Old 01-29-10, 04:15 AM
Good morning everyone. It was indeed the flame sensor, plus the tech said there was soot in the gas line which wasn't helping things. He had replaced the sensor a little over a year ago and it had a 2year warranty, so at least the part was free! I want to thank JohnJohn and NJTrooper for spending so much time helping me last night. It is truly appreciated!!

Old 01-29-10, 08:43 AM
J
Glad it worked out

Sometimes you get lucky and it's a quick fix.

I think this forums is a great way to a the least talk things out even if you still have to call someone in you maybe narrow it down to a couple of possibilities.

take care.Beer 4U2

Old 01-29-10, 05:00 PM
NJT
Thanks Juliet for letting us know... glad it was a relatively easy one... JohnJohn and Dave, thanks again for the input...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: