Boiler temperature vs, feed temperature

Old 02-09-10, 12:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler temperature vs, feed temperature

My question concerns a Weil-McLain WTGO-3 oil-fired boiler I use for home heating. The combination gauge on the boiler shows a normal operating temperature range of approximately 180-210 degrees. However, the temperature of the water emerging from the boiler, measured at the main supply, is about 120 degrees. As a result, heating efficiency has been reduced considerably. I'd appreciate any recommendations for finding the cause of the below normal supply water temperature. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-10, 12:56 PM
Your model tells me you have a tankless coil. Gauges can be decieving but in your case if the gauge was that far off you wouldn't get any hot water with 120deg. water in the boiler. Check to see if your pump is running. It almost sounds like your water isn't circulating.

Old 02-09-10, 01:01 PM
You are correct -- the boiler has a tankless coil. I only use it to preheat water going into a 50-gallon electric HW heater. I think the circulator (Taco 007) is okay since I have warm - but not hot - radiators on the 2nd floor (boiler is in basement).

Old 02-09-10, 04:09 PM
You probably have gravity flow. Take a screwdriver and press the end of the handle to your ear. Then touch the tip of the screw driver to the pipe area at the pump. That will make it easier to hear the pump running or not running.

Old 02-09-10, 07:36 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the pump were not circulating, I would think that the hot supply from the boiler would be every bit of high limit...

Geo, you said that the water out of the 'main supply' from the boiler is 120... and just so we don't chase ghosts, (I apologize if some of these questions seems like "duhhhhh" questions, but I have to ask)

are you sure you aren't measuring the output of the domestic hot water coil?

and how far from the boiler are you measuring that temperature?

What method are you using to measure the water temp?

If you grab a hold of that hot pipe, how many seconds can you hold onto it before your body forces you let go? (it's called an "OUCHostat")

Does the hot pipe out get rapidly cooler the further you get from the boiler?

While we got ya on the line, please tell us what the pressure on the gauge reads when the boiler is showing 180...

Old 02-11-10, 05:29 AM
Thanks to all the commenters for the excellent advice. The problem was in fact a dead circulator, which I replaced yesterday. Heat distribution is now what it should be. Keep up the great work, it is very helpful.