Question about 1950 AS Severn

Old 03-02-10, 11:54 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about 1950 AS Severn

I moved this past October and I am getting ready to market my old house. Had boiler serviced last month. Within last 4 years had new Lynn quickie chamber, Becket AVG burner, Super Stor indirect to replace sidearm tankless, Taco zone priority controller, Roth oil tank.

Serviceman noticed that the baffle plate was starting to warp( crown). Other than that, all looked OK.

Yesterday, I noticed a smokey smudge around an access plate on the side near top of boiler on the side of sheet metal jacket. I took off an access panel. Could see cast iron sections. No water leaks but I could see flame ( thin line of light between cast iron sections between what I think is first and 2nd section. I looks like 3 section total. Not enough to set off CO alarm or smoke detector but enough to leave slight combustion odor.
Warm start but low limit was reduced when indirect was installed to 135-140 deg. This may have been going on previously but only just noticed.
Can anything be used to pack this so that it is tight. I know boiler is way past its lifespan but would prefer to sell house as is without replacement. I do want to be straightforward with potential buyer.
Other than the clogged tankless, boiler has never given me problems in last 15 years and is very economical to run.
Original burner was ESSO that ran fine but I was told new would be more fuel effiecent. Any advice?
Thanks

Old 03-02-10, 06:13 PM
O
Dang, gotta' like those American Standard boilers from the 50's. Taken care of they last forever. Have a late 50's AS Oakmont myself. Runs great, updated from the original New Arco Flame to a Carlin 100CRD. Would like to have seen that old Esso burner.

Anyway, get small can of furnace cement. IIRC, that is what it is called. It is a putty that hardens like rock and is flame proof. Use it to seal between the various sections of the boilers. This sealing is common on these old boilers.

Al.

Old 03-03-10, 05:48 AM
F
Thanks for help. I will do that. Should be easy to access through the two large doors.
My oilman also thinks it it great. Easy to clean and 79-82% combustion efficiency for the last 25 years with different oil suppliers. It seems to be just the right size for the 1400 sq/ft Craftsman style bungalow. Plus the indirect made a huge difference in summer. Rarely did the boiler fire more than once a day and I could run two showers , dishwasher and wash clothes continuously.

I also like the look of the older one better than the 1964 Arcoliner in the house I just bought. I also like old motocycles better than new but that is my opinion.

But I do prefer the fin tube in the new house over the massive cast iron radiators (too hot) because of the two little ones
I have running around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: