Temperature drops below low temp - and won't restart

Old 03-19-10, 12:42 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Temperature drops below low temp - and won't restart

I had my burner serviced a few weeks ago. Although I cannot swear that the problem started exactly then... timing is coincidental...

The problem is that the furnace runs fine when the boiler temperature is above the low limit and there are zones calling for heat. But, when there are no zones calling for heat and the boiler temp falls below the low temp set point, the burner does not start. The temperature keeps falling and the red light on the Honeywell controller lights. If I reset it (anywhere from 2 to 4 times), the burner will eventually stay on and work normally - until no zones are calling for heat and the temperature falls below the low temp set point again.

At first, I thought that it was an oil filter problem, but then I figured out the pattern described above.

Any ideas about what is going on?

Old 03-19-10, 03:32 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Make/model of boiler?

Ditto the "Honeywell controller" with the red light.

Old 03-22-10, 09:23 AM
T
Here are all of the model numbers that I could find:

Furnace - Heathstone Hydronics - H4

Honeywell - R8184G 4009

Argo Industries - ARM842D control with Priority

Burner - Carlin - EZ-1HP

Low Water Cut-off - Hydro Level Co. - 170SV

Honeywell Aquastat - L4006A (set at 180/20)

Old 03-22-10, 10:55 AM
NJT
If the red light on the Honeywell controller that you see is the one on the control that is mounted to the burner (the 8184G), then this means that there is a problem with the burner itself ... you should NOT continue to push that button! Doing so can cause a build-up of unburned fuel oil in the combustion chamber of the boiler and can be a problem...

You need to call the service guys back, something is wrong. I don't think it's coincidence.

Your perception of the problem is that the water cools, and then the burner won't start, but it actually is the exact opposite of that ... The burner isn't starting, and then the water cools...

Old 03-22-10, 11:07 AM
T
Thanks for the info... I will call someone...

But, can you tell me why it runs fine as long as there is a zone calling for heat (meaning that the burner restarts when the temp gets to 160)? Is the burner supposed to restart whenever the temperature gets to 160 or is it only supposed to start when it is 160 or below AND a zone is calling for heat?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-10, 03:23 PM
NJT
The control action depends on how the stuff is wired up, but what you have looks to me as though it's a COLD START setup, and if that is true, then NO, the boiler won't fire unless the temp has dropped below (180-20) AND a thermostat calls for heat. The only time you would want a boiler to stay warm is if you had a 'tankless coil' in the boiler that provided domestic hot water to the home.

But, that said, the red light should not come on unless the oil burner is "locked out" due to flame failure. So, if you are seeing that red light, and the button pops up and requires resetting, that's a problem with the burner itself.

Old 03-22-10, 03:28 PM
T
Thank you very much for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: