swet chek valve

Old 03-24-10, 08:26 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swet chek valve

I have swet chek valves with thumb screw on the top, what is the normal position, fully clockwise?

Old 03-25-10, 07:28 AM
M
You seem to be describing flo-control (flo-check) valves used to prevent gravity flow when the pump isn't running. During normal operation, the operators should be fully clockwise.

During emergency situations, when the pump is kaput, you can turn the operators fully counter-clockwise. That jacks open the valve and allows gravity flow even with the pump not operating.

Old 03-25-10, 08:43 AM
T
On Watts flo checks, turning the fully clockwise will keep the check on its seat and prevent opening.

Not all valves are the same, we need to know the make of flo-check

Old 03-25-10, 08:59 AM
K
Originally Posted by TOHeating View Post
On Watts flo checks, turning the fully clockwise will keep the check on its seat and prevent opening.

Not all valves are the same, we need to know the make of flo-check
I'll agree that it is a directional check valve, the forging on the side says swetchek, like my opening post, when I google it taco swetchek comes up but the picture doesn't show a thumb screw...

I closed them, turned clock wise... they are at the distribution for all the zones on the horizontal run from the supply side..

thanks, for some reason many of them were open... when buying a home, you'll never know what the prior owner did & why..

Old 03-25-10, 11:41 AM
S
Kerry, you have a flo check valve to prevent unwanted water flowing to the zones. It is made by Taco. Swetcheck simply means it is meant to be soldered in as compared to threaded on. You most likely have 3/4" copper lines going to each zone. Whatever kind of knob you have on top, it should be turned all the way clockwise for normal operation.

Old 03-25-10, 12:29 PM
M
Not sure about other manufacturer's, but B&G flo-checks have a label showing which way to turn the operator for functions.

Here is data for Watts flo-checks: http://media.wattswater.com/1910220.pdf

That show the operator to work the same way as B&G and Taco flo-checks: fully CCW to manually jack the valve open for emergency gravity flow - and fully CW to allow the lift-check to shut without the pump running, and to automatically open when the pump is running. The normal position is fully CW.

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 03-25-10 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-25-10, 09:32 PM
T
I can tell you 100% that fully CW will result in a closed watts valve.
Should you choose to believe it or not is up to you.

I have installed so many of these I can't count em anymore

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: