Convector for small bathroom

Old 03-27-10, 09:07 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convector for small bathroom

I am remodeling a mother-in-law apartment and need some advice on heating its bathroom. The unit will have its own pump/circuit and thermostat. The bathroom is closest to the boiler so could be either at the begining or end of the loop. THe bathroom is only 50 SF in size.

I am considering fabricating towel bar out of surplus 1.5" copper with a number of rungs and a diverter valve that could be used to control the amount of hot water circulating through the lower rungs. My questions are:

Does anyone have a better idea?

If I use the 'towel bar' approach how many feet of 1 1/2" bar do I need to heat a 50 SF room? Water temp is 170 degrees and the room is well insulted from the outside. Without any heat it would probably stay at 60 degrees.

Thanks
DavidJ

Old 03-27-10, 01:27 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know that I would want to run 170 degree water through a towel bar... OUCH! ... especially if the occupant may be a bit 'older'... let's say there's a 'slip' and the person goes to grab the bar to catch themselves... 170 degrees can/will burn pretty quickly. No, I think you would want to temper that water to something around maybe 110 or so, not much more.

I don't know the output of bare copper pipe, BTU wise, let alone pipe that has towels hanging on it for insulation.

You probably only need maybe 1500 BTU/hr tops... if that much, and that's only about 3 feet of baseboard.

How about a small kickspace heater under the bathroom vanity?

Old 03-27-10, 05:18 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess that could get a little toasty. I found a 2ft baseboard hydronic unit that will fit. Didn't know you could get them that small.

Thanks for your response.

DavidJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: