Need help with honeywell r8182D with 7505

Old 03-30-10, 09:59 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with honeywell r8182D with 7505

I just replace my burner AFG and it came with the Beckett Burner GeniSys 7505, but i am trying to hook it up too my R8182D, the old AFG burner did not have this and the cad cell went up to the 8182d box, Now with the 7505 unit everything is plug in to that and i just have B1 and B2 running down the burner, the burner will not fire up in less i jump the T:T lines down to the 7505 and then it will only fire up for about 30sec and the burner relay will shot off. I was wondering should i put a jumper in the Cad Cell lines and run it up to the R8182D or can i just put a Jumper from Cell F to F in the Control Box?

Old 03-30-10, 04:51 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Problem is that you've now got two controls in competition with each other.

Your 8182 is a 'combination' control. It contains the 'aquastat', AND the CAD cell circuitry. If you have no cad cell connected to the 8182, it will shut down the burner since it won't be sensing any flame.

The Genisys ALSO contains the CAD cell circuit... and since it is all pre-wired, I would use that cad circuit.

I ___THINK____ you would be OK to jumper the FF on the 8182, and leave all the wiring in the new burner 'as-is'.

You should have a jumper on the TR TW on the Genisys, since your thermostat is connected to the 8182.

I'm going to assume that the new burner has the 'Clean-cut' oil pump installed?

When you wired the control, did you wire the B1 in the 8182 to the LIMIT terminal on the Genisys? And there is NO WIRE on L1 on the Genisys?

You do have an option to add another wire ... a constant 120VAC HOT wire to the Genisys... and this will enable you to use the 'valve on, motor off' delay features of the new control.

=======================
Another option would be to swap the 8182 out for an aquastat only... such as a 7224 ...

Let's wait and see what others think before we commit to something though.

Old 03-30-10, 06:25 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
I ___THINK____ you would be OK to jumper the FF on the 8182, and leave all the wiring in the new burner 'as-is'.
Without checking schematics I'm pretty sure you cannot do this as the control probably has a "safe start" feature that will prevent the control from initiating if the cad cell "sees" a flame. Jumpering the F terminals is the same as the cad cell seeing a flame.

Pure and simple you need to separate the aquastat function from the flame safeguard function and this may not be possible with the controls you have without permanently destroying the flame safeguard section of the 8182. A new aquastat is the preferred solution.

Old 03-31-10, 01:29 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try www.beckettcorp.com. and look and wiring schmatics.

Old 03-31-10, 05:04 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
spot, I don't think schematics are going to help much, the problem is that he has an incompatible control...

furd, good point... I don't know for certain that the 8182 has that feature or not, but something tells me that it doesn't. I'll take a closer look at the schematic later.

I agree that the 'best' choice is to replace the aquastat, but if there's a workaround, maybe we can help him save the 150... he can buy us all some Beer 4U2

edit: I just looked at the schematic and don't see any provision for sensing a flame on startup... I would suggest trying it, nothing to lose! I also don't see how it can destroy the control either. It's a pretty basic circuit... there's an R/C circuit across FF... when the cap charges up (45 sec), it fires a triac through a silicon bilateral switch. When the triac fires, it heats the bimetal in the safety switch, and trips the control.

With the jumper on FF, the cap can't charge, the triac can't fire, the SS can't trip.

So, on the 8182, jumper F to F. Jumper on the Genisys control TR to TW.

Should work...

Last edited by NJT; 03-31-10 at 05:41 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: