Flooded basement Beckett#707502 drowned.

Old 04-06-10, 12:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flooded basement Beckett#707502 drowned.

My 80+ year old Mother-in-law was flooded out in RI last week. She has an old steam boiler with a Becket mod. 707502 burner. I'm thinking of starting with the motor, nozzle, transformer, and fire eye. It does not have a controller like I usually see. So I'm hoping that squirting the relay with some wire dry will take care of that. Got to get some penetrating oil for the studs that hold the firebox door on so I can inspect and dry the firebox out.

Did I miss anything?

Ride to work and work to ride . . .
Bilbo biker

Old 04-06-10, 02:49 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bilbo, if yer working on old MotorSighs, then surely you know that "PB BLASTER" is hands down, the BEST penetrating oil you can get... smells like he77, so only use a wee bit where you need it!

What 'relay' are you talking about?

When you say 'starting with the motor, etc... ' are you talking about actually replacing them?

Depending on how flooded it actually was, you might have water in the fuel, and nozzle lines, and in the pump... so that would have to be gotten out...

Pictures might help... maybe... you can set up a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and upload there, come back here and drop a link to your public album.

Old 04-08-10, 04:59 AM
Received 66 Upvotes on 55 Posts
In my opinion any electrical part that got wet should be replaced. In my hometown anything that gets flood water it it must be removed including furnaces and ductwork. Yes even metal ductwork. it cannot be cleaned out. Hydronics can stay as the water did not get inside but the combustion chamber fire wall etc and insulation must be replaced.

Old 04-08-10, 06:03 AM
R
hello fellow ri'er. we lost two cars in the flood but
nothing else was damaged.

have you checked with the insurance company for coverage. i remember someone saying water from the top is covered but not raising water., don't know how true it is but worth checking into.

+1 on pb crazy stuff.

Old 04-08-10, 06:55 AM
Got it Done

Thank you guys for the ideas.

I did look around for some PB Blaster but did not find any locally. I did find it on line so thats probably the way to go unless you know where to buy it RISO.

There was no fire eye in the burner NJ. The "controller" I was looking for was on the stack and was way above the water line so I left it alone. I opened the firebox and let it air out for two days. Since the flooding in my mother-in-laws place was limited to ground water seeping from the floor and stone foundation I was not worried about contamination. She lives out in the country a quarter mile from the Scituate reservoir.

I replaced the nozel, transformer, and motor. I took the "squirel cage" off the old motor, cleaned it up using DW40 as a solvent, and put it on the new motor with about 1/8 " clearance on the motor side. I re-used the coupler which looked fine. I put never-sieze on all screws and put it all back together.

I re-made the electrical connections with new wire nuts; white to white and color to color. When I put the burner back in service I had a bit of a scare as it did not start right up. But after my feble brain remembered that it was 80+ F outside, I turned up the thermostat. That got it running.

I got specs on the electrode placement from the Delavan web site that may be useful to others. Also I would like to give credit to the vendor I buy my parts from. Since I am new, I will send a private message to the moderators with the information and ask where to post it and whether it is appropriate.

Ride safe,

BilboBiker:USAF:

Old 04-08-10, 04:03 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Here in NJ, Walmart and K-Mart, (in the auto section) and most all of the auto stores carry PB Blaster... I think I saw it at Home Depot or Lowes last week too.

What that boiler has is called a 'stack control'. This is an earlier version of safety control. It uses a bimetal strip to sense the heat and indirectly prove flame in the boiler. If it doesn't feel heat within a certain time, it shuts the burner down.

The 'Fire eye' (aka Cad Cell) is a newer technology that is more reliable. If it doesn't 'see' flame, it shuts down. Doesn't have to wait for heat to happen, so it can shut down sooner in the event the burner doesn't light off properly.

You can post a 'url link' to the diagram right into a message if you like...

Been some super ridin' weather this week, eh?

Glad ya got it runnin' Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: