Odr

Old 04-21-10, 04:56 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odr

Hi Since it's slow, I will post this.
I have new boiler [2 yrs] with most of the toys and I was tooling along all winter fine, until that huge 2 day storm.
The wind was blowing 50 mph gusting to 70. I could not get the house above 68 deg. So I went by the boiler and raised the taco 700 temp up from 138 [boiler target] to 150, then the house temp went up to 70 where it should have been, I think I saw this senerio discused in one of the threads, I just thought I would pass this on.
Sid

Old 04-21-10, 05:38 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That was a heckuva storm!

My system (without the toys) generally runs around 145 max on the coldest days, but I did notice that when the winds were howlin' round my door during that storm that the heat calls generally fired up to around 160 or so... and were much more frequent.

Infiltration should definitely be considered a HUGE contributor to heat loss from a building.

I don't remember where I saw it, but one time I was looking at an infrared aerial photo of a neighborhood of single family homes. There apparently was a stiff breeze blowing, because the heat plumes off those homes was clearly visible.

Old 04-21-10, 06:46 PM
X
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiltration is commonly about 30% of the total heat loss of a residential building.

Old 04-22-10, 05:08 PM
S
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that some of the heat loss could be caused by the wind forcing a greater heat exchange through all of my glass area as I have about 110 sq ft of double and tripple glass in the front room that faces NE, and gets the brunt of all the action. I really can't complain, as in the cold periods I burn about 1 1/2 gals of oil a day for heat & hot water, and in the summer, I burn 1/2 a gallon a day, for HW.
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: