Pilots Won't Stay Lit

Old 04-25-10, 10:27 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots Won't Stay Lit

The pilots on my boiler and water heater won't stay lit. I'm lighting them every day. My suspicion is a break in the supply line outside. Could this be the problem, or is it just poor pressure? Thanks for your ideas.

Sherm

Old 04-25-10, 11:55 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems unlikely that your underground gas line would "break" without you smelling gas.

The most frequent reason for a standing pilot not staying lighted is a bad thermocouple. But it is odd that both the boiler and water heater started having the same problem. I would try replacing the thermocouple and make sure the thermocouple tip is in the pilot flame.

As far as "poor pressure" is concerned, that doesn't seem too likely. There is a pressure regulator in the gas meter and then in the gas valve for each of your two appliances. The only way to measure the pressure is to hook up a manometer at the gas valves. When the pilot is lighted and there is a call for heat, do the main burners come on normally? If so, then that would indicate that the gas pressure is OK.

If the pilot flames are too small, they could be providing inadeqate heat to the thermocouple or perhaps the flame is unstable. The gas valves should have a manual adjustment screw to increase the supply to the pilot.

Last edited by Mike Speed 30; 04-25-10 at 01:33 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: