Does anyone recommend a condensing boiler?

Old 04-25-10, 09:39 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone recommend a condensing boiler?

I have an old Crane 100 series hot water boiler and my plumber said it is in great condition. He also said a condensing boiler as it will save you money in the long run. I have a 4400 sqft split level 4 plex me and my wife own. Could you tell me how one works and if it would be a great investment.

Old 04-26-10, 01:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
With Federal and State tax credits it is a good choice. In PA that comes out to about $2000.00. So if you are thinking about a boiler replacement this year is the time.
To explain how it works is kinda like what you have now except more efficient. It gets a call for heat and starts until the thermostat is satisfied and shuts off. The major difference is it will modulate the fuel input according to a few different parameters. What that means to you is when the demand is lower your fuel input will be reduced. It will also determine the water temperature your heating system needs by the outdoor temperature. It adjusts the water temperature up as the day gets colder and down as the day gets warmer. The cooler water temperature causes the boiler to condense the flue gasses which has a gain of about 9% more heat from the inputed fuel which you loose when the water temperature goes higher but will condense as the water temperature comes back down.
The biggest fuel savings is caused by properly sizing the boiler. Most guys size off the old boiler or by the amount of radiation in the building. Neither has anything to do with the new boiler. You need to have a heat loss performed. If the contractor does not do them move on to another contractor or have one done yourself.
Shop the contractor before the boiler., Find out what they know about condensing boilers and get references.
For more info about heat losses follow this link and click on FAQ

Old 04-27-10, 11:22 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so what you are saying is if a tenant is wanting heat but the 3 other suites do not, her asking for heat will start the boiler and it will run until that suite is warm enough and it will shutoff? How big are these things and what kind of costs am I looking at?

Old 04-27-10, 11:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
The size depends on the btu requirement. Many are small wall hung boilers or floor installed boilers.
The cost is normally from $6k to 10K and up. The price varies on size, piping changes, number of heating zones etc.
Again proper sizing and piping is important no matter if it is a condensing or cast iron product.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: