pilot light will not go out

Old 04-26-10, 05:46 PM
pilot light will not go out

End of the heating season, and now pilot light will not go out on my Hytech gas boiler. White rodgers gas valve 36C84-945. white rodgers mercury flame sensor 3049-115. I have both thermostats turned down. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-10, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pilot

I, personally, prefer to keep the pilot on all summer. This keeps a small amount of heat in the boiler & reduces condensation.

If you want the pilot out turn off the switch to the boiler or the one on the gas valve. From what I saw on White-Rodgers site it looks like there is an automatic pilot re-lighter powered by 24 volts.

Old 04-27-10, 07:21 PM
I understand your idea of keeping the pilot light on, but I do not want to waste gas. I also would like the unit to work correctly. I got the pilot to go out today by turning both thermostats full up, let the boiler run for a few minutes and then turned both of them all the way down.

Old 04-28-10, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pilot went out

I can't explain why the pilot went out after turning the stats up then down. The gas valve must not function as I gathered from White-Rodgers site.
If you are on natural gas you probably pay a minimum each month regardless if you use that much gas or not. If you have other gas appliances you probably do meet the minimum & leaving the pilot lit would cost extra.

Old 04-28-10, 03:56 PM
I wonder if leaving the pilot on during the summer really reduces condensation - in the boiler or the flue. I think the combustion products from the pilot may likely hit the dewpoint before they exit the stack.

My philosophy has been to turn off the standing pilot during non-heating months. But I have never heard of any tests being reported.

Intermittent pilots don't run during the summer - presumably with no adverse effects?

There should be a manual gas shut-off valve ahead of the electrically operated W-R valve. If you shut the manual valve, that should cut off the pilot.

Old 04-28-10, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
If you are on natural gas you probably pay a minimum each month regardless if you use that much gas or not.
I checked my last gas bill. I pay a monthly "customer charge" of $15.56 - which applies even if I used zero gas. But the fuel and delivery charges are based on the meter's CCF used - if no gas is used, then no charges. (Other gas utilities may be different, of course.)

I have no idea how much gas a pilot light uses. (It would be interesting to know.) But, in addition to the heating, we use natural gas for clothes drying, cooking, water heating, BBQ grill, and smoker - so it's difficult to pinpoint the pilot's usage.

Old 04-28-10, 09:10 PM
I do pay a monthly fee in Virginia for gas service. Not sure how much more burning the pilot would be. It is a big flame on the tip. It makes the mercury flame sensor glow red. Not sure if allowing the flame to burn all the time is good for the sensor. Well for now it is out and I guess I can wait untill next heating season to have it looked at. Thanks again